Why is energy-momentum tensor Lorentz invariant?

In summary: Covariant has two different meanings, depending on whether you're talking about a tensor or a vector.
Bibipandi
I'm studying General Relativity and facing several problems. We know that energy-momentum must be Lorentz invariant in locally inertial coordinates. I am not sure I understand this point clearly. What is the physics behind?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not. It's covariant.

Dickfore said:
It's not. It's covariant.

I don't know the answer--I'm just learning too--but I don't think this is it! Covariant is just a more confusing word for the same thing. It's more confusing, because it has two meanings, whereas invariant has one.

If a tensor is invariant under a specified transformation, its value is unchanged by that transformation (although the components of its coordinate representation may change); so if you apply a Lorentz transformation to your tangent vectors, and the corresponding inverse Lorentz transformation to cotangent vectors, then let a cotangent vector act on a tangent vector to give a real number, it will be the same number as if you hadn't applied the transformations.

Traditionally, covariant could mean the same as invariant (I think this is the meaning Dickfore has in mind), e.g. covariant derivative. But it can also mean mean, of a tensor, having valence (0,q), where q is some positive integer, e.g. covariant vector = covector, dual vector, cotangent vector, linear functional, linear form, 1-form. The opposite of covariant sense 1 is coordinate dependent / frame dependent. The opposite of covariant sense 2 is contravariant, i.e. having valence (p,0), where p is some positive integer, as a tangent vector does.

Bibipandi said:
I'm studying General Relativity and facing several problems. We know that energy-momentum must be Lorentz invariant in locally inertial coordinates. I am not sure I understand this point clearly. What is the physics behind?

If we take the well known Energy equation:

[tex]E = \sqrt{ (m_oc^2)^2 + p^2c^2} = \sqrt{ (m_oc^2)^2 + \frac{(m_o v c)^2}{(1-v^2/c^2)}} [/tex]

where
E is the total energy [itex] (m_0c^2)/\sqrt{(1-v^2/c^2)}[/itex],
[itex]m_oc^2[/itex] is the rest energy ,
p is the momentum

and re-arrange it so that:

[tex]m_oc^2 = \sqrt{E^2 - p^2c^2} [/tex]

then it is easy to see that the term on the left is invariant because the rest mass and the speed of light are both invariants, so the Energy-Momentum term on the right must be invariant too. I am assuming that the term on the right is what you are calling the energy-momentum.

Last edited:
kev said:
I am assuming that the term on the right is what you are calling the energy-momentum.

I don't think that's it. He was probably talking about the stress-energy tensor (also referred to as the energy-momentum tensor (see title)) that appears in the Einstein Field Equations, and covariant means [tex]\nabla_\mu T^{\mu\nu}=0[/tex].

The short answer is that it is covariant because energy and momentum are conserved quantities. Einstein designed his field equations such that GR obeys this law. See here for a derivation.

Last edited:
kev said:
If we take the well known Energy equation:

[tex]E = \sqrt{ (m_oc^2)^2 + p^2c^2} = \sqrt{ (m_oc^2)^2 + \frac{(m_o v c)^2}{(1-v^2/c^2)}} [/tex]

where
E is the total energy [itex] (m_0c^2)/\sqrt{(1-v^2/c^2)}[/itex],
[itex]m_oc^2[/itex] is the rest energy ,
p is the momentum

and re-arrange it so that:

[tex]m_oc^2 = \sqrt{E^2 - p^2c^2} [/tex]

then it is easy to see that the term on the left is invariant because the rest mass and the speed of light are both invariants, so the Energy-Momentum term on the right must be invariant too. I am assuming that the term on the right is what you are calling the energy-momentum.

What you are mentioning about is the Energy-Momentum four-vector [tex]p^{\mu} (p^0 =m_0 c^2, p^i)[/tex]. Not surprisingly, the four-vector is Lorentz invariant because one always has: [tex]p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=\sqrt{E^2 - p^2c^2}=m_{0}c^2 [/tex]. The physics behind is the validity of the well-known equation [tex]E=mc^2[/tex] in the rest frame leading to the Lorentz invariance of the four-vector.

What I am talking about is the similar physics behind in the case of Energy-Momentum tensor. :smile:

Last edited:
Bibipandi said:
What you are mentioning about is the Energy-Momentum four-vector [tex]p^{\mu} (p^0 =m_0 c^2, p^i)[/tex]. Not surprisingly, the four-vector is Lorentz invariant because one always has: [tex]p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=\sqrt{E^2 - p^2c^2}=m_{0}c^2 [/tex]. The physics behind is the validity of the well-known equation [tex]E=mc^2[/tex] in the rest frame leading to the Lorentz invariance of the four-vector.

What I am talking about is the similar physics behind in the case of Energy-Momentum tensor. :smile:

See post #5. I have given you a link to the derivation.

Bibipandi said:
What you are mentioning about is the Energy-Momentum four-vector [tex]p^{\mu} (p^0 =m_0 c^2, p^i)[/tex]. Not surprisingly, the four-vector is Lorentz invariant because one always has: [tex]p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=\sqrt{E^2 - p^2c^2}=m_{0}c^2 [/tex].

No, the energy-momentum four-vector is not Lorentz invariant. It transforms like a four-vector. Its *magnitude* is a Lorentz scalar, so its *magnitude* is invariant.

The subject line of your original post was "Why is energy-momentum tensor Lorentz invariant?" If this refers to the stress-energy tensor, then the answer is that it isn't invariant; it transforms as a rank-2 tensor. If this refers to the energy-momentum four-vector, then the answer is that it isn't invariant; it transforms as a four-vector.

Are you confusing "invariant" with "conserved?"

bcrowell said:
No, the energy-momentum four-vector is not Lorentz invariant. It transforms like a four-vector. Its *magnitude* is a Lorentz scalar, so its *magnitude* is invariant.

The subject line of your original post was "Why is energy-momentum tensor Lorentz invariant?" If this refers to the stress-energy tensor, then the answer is that it isn't invariant; it transforms as a rank-2 tensor. If this refers to the energy-momentum four-vector, then the answer is that it isn't invariant; it transforms as a four-vector.

Are you confusing "invariant" with "conserved?"

It's each component of the four-vector that transforms, not the four-vector itself, it must be invariant under a certain transformation. For example, given a vector A, under a certain transformation, one always has:
[tex]A=A_{\mu}e^\mu = A^{'}_{\nu}e^{\mu^'}[/tex]
This is exactly the invariance I mean. And so do tensors. The conservation is another story :smile:

Bibipandi said:

If you look at the Bianchi identities with the Ricci tensor, you can get an expression like[tex]
R ^{\alpha}_{\ \rho :\alpha}-R_{:\rho}+R^{\nu}_{\ \rho :\nu}=0
[/tex]

which, because of the symmetry of the Ricci tensor gives you

[tex]
2R^{\alpha}_{\ \rho :\alpha}=R_{:\rho}
[/tex]

Then, raise the suffix rho to get

[tex]
g^{\alpha \rho}R^{\alpha}_{\ \rho :\alpha}=\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha \rho}R_{:\rho}
[/tex]

Which let's you write

[tex]
(R^{\alpha \rho}-\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha \rho}R)_{:\alpha}=0

[/tex]

and, since

[tex]
(R^{\alpha \rho}-\frac{1}{2}g^{\alpha \rho}R)= T^{\alpha \rho}
[/tex]

it must be that

[tex]
T^{\alpha \rho}_{\ :\alpha}=0
[/tex]Which is a form of conservation of energy and momentum.

*The subscript ":" indicates covariant differentiation.*
*I don't know why the "R" is missing at the start of the first equation, it's there when I edit my post, but goes away when I click "save."

Last edited:

Related to Why is energy-momentum tensor Lorentz invariant?

1. What is the energy-momentum tensor?

The energy-momentum tensor is a mathematical object used in physics to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given system. It is a rank-2 tensor, meaning it has both covariant and contravariant indices, and can be used to describe the energy and momentum density, as well as the flow of these quantities.

2. Why is the energy-momentum tensor important?

The energy-momentum tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's general theory of relativity, as it is the source of curvature in spacetime. It also appears in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum field theory, and is a fundamental concept in understanding the conservation of energy and momentum in physical systems.

3. What does it mean for the energy-momentum tensor to be Lorentz invariant?

A Lorentz invariant quantity is one that is unaffected by Lorentz transformations, which are mathematical transformations that describe how physical quantities appear to an observer in a different frame of reference. In the context of the energy-momentum tensor, this means that its components will have the same values regardless of the frame of reference in which they are measured.

4. How does the Lorentz invariance of the energy-momentum tensor relate to the principles of relativity?

The principles of relativity state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their frame of reference. The Lorentz invariance of the energy-momentum tensor ensures that the conservation of energy and momentum, which are fundamental principles in physics, hold true for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. Are there any consequences if the energy-momentum tensor is not Lorentz invariant?

If the energy-momentum tensor were not Lorentz invariant, it would mean that the conservation of energy and momentum would not hold true for all observers, violating the principles of relativity. This would have significant consequences for our understanding of the laws of physics and could potentially lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in our theories.