Why is electroweak grouped together?

In summary, the standard model includes electromagnetism, weak interaction, and strong interaction, each mediated by different particles. These forces can be unified in higher theories, such as SU(5), but the current understanding is that they are best described by a combination of SU(2) and U(1). This combination breaks down to form the U(1) electromagnetism that we are familiar with, and all SU(N) groups have N-1 U(1) subgroups.
BWV
If I understand the standard model correctly (a big assumption)

you have

electromagnetism - U(1) symmetry mediated by the photon
weak interaction - SU(2) symmetry mediated by the W+- & Z bosons
strong interaction - SU(3) symmetry mediated by gluons

is there any reason to view electromagnetism and the weak interaction tied together more than any other combination of the three forces there?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes there is a good reason -> it works ;-)

See http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.4264 which are very good lecture notes on this topic.

One "can" tie all three forces together in SU(5) (GUT)

The basic observation, which lead one to think about a U(1)xSU(2) unification was that Left and Right handed fermions and antifermions interact different in weak SU(2) interactions (no right handed neutrinos for instance).

Last edited:
also, the "U(1)" in the SM gauge group is NOT electromagnetism - it is the "weak hypercharge". so in fact, a better thing to say is:

SU(2) x U(1) == electroweak interactions mediated by W, Z, photon
SU(3) == strong interactions mediated by gluons

When SU(2) x U(1) is spontaneously broken by the Higgs, it breaks to the U(1) electromagnetism which is a COMBINATION of two U(1)'s - the hypercharge and also a subgroup of the SU(2).

All SU(N) groups have a U(1) subgroup, correct me if I am wrong

malawi_glenn said:
All SU(N) groups have a U(1) subgroup, correct me if I am wrong

i do not correct you. in fact, they have N-1 such subgroups.

blechman said:
i do not correct you. in fact, they have N-1 such subgroups.

Which is equivalent to saying that the rank of SU(N) is N-1 (unless I am mistaken)

nrqed said:
Which is equivalent to saying that the rank of SU(N) is N-1 (unless I am mistaken)

quite so. each cartan generator generates a U(1) subgroup.

Related to Why is electroweak grouped together?

1. Why is the electroweak force grouped together with the strong nuclear force?

The electroweak force and strong nuclear force are often grouped together because they have similar properties and can be described by the same mathematical framework. They both involve the exchange of particles called gauge bosons, and their strengths are affected by the distance between particles. Additionally, they unify at high energies, suggesting they may have a shared origin.

2. How does the electroweak force relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The electroweak force is one of the four fundamental forces described by the Standard Model of particle physics. It is responsible for interactions between particles with electric charge, such as electrons and protons. The Standard Model also includes the strong nuclear force, gravity, and the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass.

3. What is the role of the Higgs boson in the electroweak force?

The Higgs boson is a particle that was predicted by the Standard Model and was later discovered in 2012. It plays a crucial role in the electroweak force by giving particles their mass. Without the Higgs field, particles would not have any mass, and the electroweak force would not be able to act on them.

4. Can the electroweak force be unified with other forces?

Many scientists believe that the electroweak force can be unified with the strong nuclear force and gravity at even higher energies. This would create a grand unified theory that would explain all of the fundamental forces in our universe. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and has not yet been proven.

5. How does the electroweak force affect our everyday lives?

The electroweak force is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as electricity, magnetism, and radioactivity. It also plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions, which are used in power plants to generate electricity. Additionally, the electroweak force is involved in chemical reactions, which are essential for many processes in our bodies and in the production of everyday items like medicines and plastics.