Why is E=pc with Light's Zero Rest Mass?

In summary, according to this equation, light would have zero rest mass, even though that would make p equal to zero. This equation is not applicable when v=c, which is strange because that's the case where mass and energy are the same.
Grim Shady
I was reading the derivation of this equation on hyperphysics.com and after searching all over the internet it seems that eveywhere seems to just accept this equation is valid for light, even though a rest mass of 0 would make p equal to 0.

Sorry if I'm being stupid or if this has been asked a million times before but I can't find an explanation anywhere as to why light having zero rest mass gives the equation E = pc, despite p being proportional to the (zero) rest mass of light.

Physics news on Phys.org

For any particle, massive or massless, the relativistic relation between mass, energy, and spatial momentum is given by

[tex]E^2 - \left( cp \right)^2 = \left( mc^2 \right)^2 .[/tex]

Using [itex]m = 0[/itex] in this relation results in [itex]E = cp[/itex].

But surely if p = m0v/sqrt(1-v2/c2), that would make p equal to 0?

When v = c, that equation leads you to divide by zero, which has a mathematically undefined result. So it simply doesn't apply when v = c. The equation George showed you is more general.

Yeah sorry my mistake, but that still would mean that p is an undefined value, despite it being in the equation George posted.

It means that your equation has nothing to say on a photon's momentum, while George Jones' has.

But you can't just ignore the equation for momentum and state that light has a momentum, p, purely for convenience.

Unless momentum can be defined as something else, other than the equation I posted.

Grim Shady said:
But you can't just ignore the equation for momentum and state that light has a momentum, p, purely for convenience.

Unless momentum can be defined as something else, other than the equation I posted.

E^2 = p^2 + m_0^2

is the general formula

E = gamma m_0

applies only to massive particles

where is your lack of understanding?

It was in the definition of momentum itself, I've found the answer the answer anyway in the de Broglie wavelength equation, which is something I knew already was just having trouble remembering it. Cheers for the help people.

Even classically, the energy and momentum densities of electromagnetic waves are related by E = pc.

I think he's saying that in the equation E=pc, p=mv, so that if m=0, then p=zero, then E=0.

Unless maybe saying m=0 means that relativistic mass is zero, not rest mass?

Related to Why is E=pc with Light's Zero Rest Mass?

1. Why is the equation E=pc used to describe light's zero rest mass?

The equation E=pc is used to describe light's zero rest mass because it is derived from Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation shows the relationship between energy and mass, and when applied to light, which has no rest mass, it becomes E=pc. This equation shows that light's energy is directly proportional to its momentum, which is equal to its frequency multiplied by the speed of light.

2. How does the equation E=pc relate to the nature of light?

The equation E=pc relates to the nature of light by showing that light behaves both as a wave and as a particle. The energy in light is carried by its particles, known as photons, which have momentum due to their massless nature. This equation helps to explain phenomena such as the photoelectric effect and the dual nature of light.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in the equation E=pc?

The speed of light, represented by c in the equation E=pc, is a fundamental constant in physics. It is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel in the universe. In the case of light, it is the speed at which photons, being massless, travel. The speed of light is crucial in understanding the behavior of light and its relationship to energy and momentum.

4. Can the equation E=pc be applied to objects with rest mass?

Yes, the equation E=pc can be applied to objects with rest mass. In this case, the equation becomes E=mc^2, where m is the rest mass of the object. This equation is widely used in nuclear physics and helps to understand the relationship between mass and energy.

5. How does the equation E=pc support Einstein's theory of relativity?

The equation E=pc supports Einstein's theory of relativity by showing the relationship between energy, mass, and momentum. This equation is derived from the theory of relativity, which states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other. The equation also shows that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, which is a fundamental principle of the theory of relativity.