Why is delta used in the equation for the discriminate?

• Thread starter vanmaiden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, delta is sometimes used as a symbol for the discriminant in the quadratic equation because it relates to the offset of the parabola's roots from its minimum or maximum point. This offset is represented by the square root of delta, and when the coefficient of x^2 is unity, delta is equal to the distance between the roots. If delta is equal to 0, the roots coincide.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

With the discriminate, why is delta sometimes used?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex] = b2 - 4ac

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the logic behind what the discriminate is and how and why it works, but I don't understand why delta is used in the equation. What change is occurring?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing is changing. They need to have some symbol for the discriminant, and they have decided to use Delta (Greek D for Discriminant). I have never seen that notation, but it does make some sense.

RGV

vanmaiden said:
I get the logic behind what the discriminate is and how and why it works, but I don't understand why delta is used in the equation. What change is occurring?

I'd forgotten that delta is sometimes used, but thanks for the reminder. :smile:

It's probably as good a choice as any, because the discriminant relates directly to the step either side of the peak in the parabola where it crosses the axis.

i.e., x = -b +/- sqrt(b2 -4ac) ...etc

So, the offset up (and down) about -b/(2a) is determined by delta. To be exact, delta/(2a)

If the coefficient of x is unity, then delta actually is the distance between the roots. If delta = 0 then the roots coincide; there is no distance between them.

Last edited:
vanmaiden said:

Homework Statement

With the discriminate, why is delta sometimes used?

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta[/itex] = b2 - 4ac

The Attempt at a Solution

No change - it is just shorter - sort of like a name for the dicriminant.

Ray Vickson said:
Nothing is changing. They need to have some symbol for the discriminant, and they have decided to use Delta (Greek D for Discriminant). I have never seen that notation, but it does make some sense.

NascentOxygen said:
It's probably as good a choice as any, because the discriminant relates directly to the step either side of the peak in the parabola where it crosses the axis.

I believe that delta is used only because the word discriminant starts with "d", the same sound as the letter delta represents.

NascentOxygen said:
I'd forgotten that delta is sometimes used, but thanks for the reminder. :smile:

So, the offset up (and down) about -b/(2a) is determined by delta. To be exact, delta/(2a)

If the coefficient of x is unity, then delta actually is the distance between the roots. If delta = 0 then the roots coincide; there is no distance between them.

Hey, could you elaborate on the "offset up and down" portion? I've never seen that terminology used with parabola's before.

vanmaiden said:
Hey, could you elaborate on the "offset up and down" portion? I've never seen that terminology used with parabola's before.

Well, this gives me the opportunity to make a correction to what I wrote. (Sharp eyes would have noted that I omitted the essential string sqrt in one or two places.)
me said:

So, the offset up (and down) about -b/(2a) is determined by delta. To be exact, sqrt of delta/(2a)

If the coefficient of x2 is unity, then sqrt of delta actually is the distance between the roots. If delta = 0 then the roots coincide; there is no distance between them.

Harking back to your first encounter with graphing the parabola, you found that the parabola's minimum (or maximum) occurs where x=-b/(2a)
and the parabola crosses the x-axis at two points offset from this by an amount +/- sqrt(b2 - 4ac)/(2a)

So you can see this offset is directly related to delta. (To the square root of delta, to be more precise.)

Related to Why is delta used in the equation for the discriminate?

What is "Delta with discriminate"?

"Delta with discriminate" is a statistical method used in research to examine the relationship between two variables. It involves calculating the change (delta) in a variable based on a specific criterion (discriminate) and determining whether that change is significantly different.

How is "Delta with discriminate" calculated?

The calculation for "Delta with discriminate" involves subtracting the mean or median of one group from another group and then dividing by the standard deviation of the whole sample. This results in a standardized measure of the difference between the two groups.

What is the purpose of using "Delta with discriminate"?

The purpose of using "Delta with discriminate" is to determine if a change in a variable is significantly different between two groups. This method is often used in research to examine the effectiveness of a treatment or intervention.

What are the assumptions of "Delta with discriminate"?

The main assumptions of "Delta with discriminate" include normality, homogeneity of variances, and independence of observations. Normality assumes that the data follows a bell-shaped curve, homogeneity of variances assumes that the variability of the data is similar between the two groups, and independence of observations assumes that each data point is unrelated to the others.

What are the alternatives to using "Delta with discriminate"?

Some alternatives to using "Delta with discriminate" include t-tests, ANOVA, and regression analysis. These methods also examine the relationship between two variables but may have different assumptions and interpretations. It is important to choose the most appropriate method based on the research question and data.