Why is D'Alembert's Principle stated in terms of virtual displacements?

• Thread starter debasish panda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virtual
In summary, the D'Alembert's Principle states that the sum of all virtual displacements is zero. This principle is stated in terms of active forces instead of actual displacements because active forces are the only forces which can be considered. The virtual displacement is just the displacement looked at only from the point of view of the constraints, which is what we focus on in the example.
debasish panda
  1. Why is the D'Alembert's Principle

∑i(Fi−miai)⋅δri=0
    stated in terms of "virtual" displacements instead of actual displacements?

what does the 'virtual displacement' really means and what is its physical significance??

Physics news on Phys.org
debasish panda said:

∑i(Fi−miai)⋅δri=0

what does the 'virtual displacement' really means and what is its physical significance??
The concept of virtual displacement is not immediate so you have to study it well in suitable texts/documents.
Here I want to give just a very simple example, which doesn't want to be comprehensive at all, but is useful (I think) to have at least some idea of the concept.
There is a point mass m which can move frictionless along an horizontal bar, in the direction x. The bar, which is the constraint for the point mass, can move vertically along direction y. So, the actual displacement of the point mass is along x and along y: dr = (dx,dy).
In this case the virtual displacement, instead, is the one only referred to the constraint: δr = (dx,0).

--
lightarrow

Likes debasish panda
debasish panda said:

∑i(Fi−miai)⋅δri=0
Because in this way only active forces can be considered. Active forces are those forces which doesn't arise in order to make the particle follow the constraints (these last are constraint forces). In the simple example I made in my previous post, active forces are those which make the particle move along the bar (horizontal forces) while constraint forces are those directed vertically, which prevent the mass point to escape the bar. Usually the constraint is still, or it moves in a specific, given way, so the problem is much simpler to solve if it's focalized in finding how the points move in virtual displacement only. But there are also theoretical reasons to focalize on those displacements only, which will be more clear whe you will study lagrangian mechanics.
--
lightarrow

Doc Al said:
lightarrow said:
Because in this way only active forces can be considered. Active forces are those forces which doesn't arise in order to make the particle follow the constraints (these last are constraint forces). In the simple example I made in my previous post, active forces are those which make the particle move along the bar (horizontal forces) while constraint forces are those directed vertically, which prevent the mass point to escape the bar. Usually the constraint is still, or it moves in a specific, given way, so the problem is much simpler to solve if it's focalized in finding how the points move in virtual displacement only. But there are also theoretical reasons to focalize on those displacements only, which will be more clear whe you will study lagrangian mechanics.
--
lightarrow
thnx bro...

Related to Why is D'Alembert's Principle stated in terms of virtual displacements?

1. What are virtual displacements?

Virtual displacements refer to imaginary or virtual movements of a particle or object in a system. They are used in mechanics and physics to analyze the behavior of a system under small changes or perturbations without actually physically moving the object.

2. How are virtual displacements different from actual displacements?

Actual displacements are physical movements of an object, while virtual displacements are theoretical or imaginary movements. Actual displacements can be measured and observed, while virtual displacements are used in mathematical calculations to understand the behavior of a system.

3. What is the significance of virtual displacements in mechanics?

Virtual displacements are important in mechanics because they allow us to analyze the stability and equilibrium of a system under small perturbations. They are also used in the study of virtual work, which is a key concept in understanding mechanical systems and their behavior.

4. Can virtual displacements be observed or measured?

No, virtual displacements cannot be physically observed or measured. They are purely theoretical and are used in mathematical calculations to understand the behavior of a system.

5. How are virtual displacements used in computer simulations?

Virtual displacements are used extensively in computer simulations to model the behavior of complex systems. They allow for accurate predictions of how a system will behave under different conditions without the need for physical testing. This makes them a valuable tool in fields such as engineering and physics.