Why Is Cosine Used to Calculate Angle Y in a Right Triangle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a right triangle, where one angle is known to be a right angle and the measures of two sides are given. The solution involves using the cosine function to find the measure of the angle opposite the given side, and then using Pythagoras' theorem to find the length of the remaining side. The conversation clarifies the use of the cosine function and the Pythagorean theorem in solving similar questions.
ai93
Hi, this would be my first post of many in recent times as I have my maths exam soon! I am doing a lot of past papers and I need some help understand some questions.

In the triangle \(\displaystyle XYZ\) angle \(\displaystyle Z\) is a right angle. If \(\displaystyle XY\)= 15mm and \(\displaystyle YZ\)=8mm, calculate the angle \(\displaystyle Y\), giving your answer in degrees accurate to 1dp.

The solution was;
\(\displaystyle COSY=\frac{8}{15}\)
\(\displaystyle \therefore Y=COS^{-1}\frac{8}{15}\)
=\(\displaystyle Y=57.8\)

Can someone clarify why COS was used, and how to attempt similar questions like this?

Continuing from this question,
Calculate the length of the side \(\displaystyle XZ\)

I see pythag theorem was used as the solution was
\(\displaystyle XZ^{2}=\sqrt{15^{2}-8^{2}}\)
\(\displaystyle XZ\)= \(\displaystyle \sqrt{161} = 12.7\)

but why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the given triangle, we know it is a right triangle, and we know the hypotenuse is:

\(\displaystyle \overline{XY}=15\text{ mm}\)

And we also know the side adjacent to $\angle Y$ is:

\(\displaystyle \overline{YZ}=8\text{ mm}\)

Now, since the cosine function is defined as:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\text{adjacent}}{\text{hypotenuse}}\)

we may then state:

\(\displaystyle \cos(Y)=\frac{8\text{ mm}}{15\text{ mm}}=\frac{8}{15}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle Y=\arccos\left(\frac{8}{15}\right)\approx57.8^{\circ}\)

edit: To answer the added part, by Pythagoras, we know the sum of the squares of the legs is equal to the square of the hypotenuse, which allows us to write:

\(\displaystyle \overline{XZ}^2+8^2=15^2\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{XZ}=\sqrt{15^2-8^2}=\sqrt{161}\)

MarkFL said:
In the given triangle, we know it is a right triangle, and we know the hypotenuse is:

\(\displaystyle \overline{XY}=15\text{ mm}\)

And we also know the side adjacent to $\angle Y$ is:

\(\displaystyle \overline{YZ}=8\text{ mm}\)

Now, since the cosine function is defined as:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\theta)=\frac{\text{adjacent}}{\text{hypotenuse}}\)

we may then state:

\(\displaystyle \cos(Y)=\frac{8\text{ mm}}{15\text{ mm}}=\frac{8}{15}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle Y=\arccos\left(\frac{8}{15}\right)\approx57.8^{\circ}\)

edit: To answer the added part, by Pythagoras, we know the sum of the squares of the legs is equal to the square of the hypotenuse, which allows us to write:

\(\displaystyle \overline{XZ}^2+8^2=15^2\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{XZ}=\sqrt{15^2-8^2}=\sqrt{161}\)

Thank you. Much clearer now. Since the question involves a right angle, we must use the Pythag Theorem. SOHCAHTOA helps a lot in solving for Y too! :D

Related to Why Is Cosine Used to Calculate Angle Y in a Right Triangle?

1. Why is COS used to solve this triangle question?

COS or cosine is a trigonometric function that calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle. It is commonly used to solve triangle questions because it helps determine the length of a side or the measure of an angle when given other known values.

2. How is COS used to solve a triangle?

COS is used in conjunction with other trigonometric functions such as SINE and TAN to solve a triangle. By using the known values of two sides or one side and one angle, the missing value can be calculated using the appropriate trigonometric function.

3. Can I use COS to solve any triangle?

Yes, COS can be used to solve any triangle as long as you have enough information about the triangle. This means having at least two side lengths or one side length and one angle measure.

4. Why is COS important in geometry and trigonometry?

COS is important in geometry and trigonometry because it is one of the fundamental trigonometric functions that help calculate the relationship between sides and angles in a right triangle. It is also used in many real-world applications such as architecture, navigation, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using COS to solve a triangle?

While COS is a useful tool in solving triangles, it does have limitations. It can only be used in right triangles, and it is not applicable in other types of triangles such as equilateral or isosceles triangles. Additionally, it can only be used to find missing side lengths or angle measures, not to prove congruence or similarity.