Why is conservation of angular momentum failing in this case

In summary, the conversation is discussing the application of conservation of angular momentum in a problem involving two cylinders in contact with each other. The person is unsure why their method is not matching with the given answer and is seeking help in uploading an image of their work.
Roxas ross
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z-avhDqYbxDtMzk6Rv_NES7rIvDmzMPz/view?usp=drivesdk 2.conservation of angular momentum
3.for the above question I tried applying conservation of angular momentum about the point of contact where the cyclinders touch each other but my answer does not match with the answer given by them .why is my method wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can’t link to google drive images like that - you might see them, but no one else can access them.

Even with a working image (in a new post of you can’t edit the old one any more), it would help to see what exactly you did, and what the two different answers are.

mfb said:
You can’t link to google drive images like that - you might see them, but no one else can access them.

Even with a working image (in a new post of you can’t edit the old one any more), it would help to see what exactly you did, and what the two different answers are.
It would
mfb said:

It would be helpful if you could tell me how to upload an image because I do not know how to do it

Roxas ross said:
It would be helpful if you could tell me how to upload an image because I do not know how to do it
You will find the Upload botton right below the input text window.

Download it to your computer, then use the upload function of the forum.

If the image is publicly accessible on the web you can directly include it in the way you tried, but it has to be accessible by everyone to make that work.

Related to Why is conservation of angular momentum failing in this case

1. Why is conservation of angular momentum failing in this case?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. If this law is failing in a particular case, it could be due to external forces or torques acting on the system, or it could indicate an error in the calculations or measurements.

2. Can conservation of angular momentum fail in any situation?

In theory, conservation of angular momentum should hold true in all situations. However, in practice, there are certain scenarios where it may appear to fail due to factors such as friction, air resistance, or external forces acting on the system. These factors can cause a decrease in the total angular momentum of the system, making it seem like conservation of angular momentum is not holding true.

3. How can we determine if conservation of angular momentum is failing in a given case?

The best way to determine if conservation of angular momentum is failing in a given case is to carefully analyze the external forces and torques acting on the system and compare them to the initial and final angular momentum values. If there is a significant difference, it could indicate that conservation of angular momentum is not holding true.

4. What are some real-world examples where conservation of angular momentum may appear to fail?

One common example is a spinning top or gyroscope, where friction and air resistance can cause a decrease in angular momentum over time. Another example is a satellite in orbit, where external forces such as gravity and atmospheric drag can affect its angular momentum. In both of these cases, conservation of angular momentum may appear to fail, but in reality, it is still holding true.

5. How can we ensure that conservation of angular momentum is being properly applied in experiments or calculations?

To ensure that conservation of angular momentum is being properly applied, it is important to carefully consider all the external forces and torques acting on the system and account for them in the calculations. Additionally, conducting multiple trials and comparing the results can help to identify any errors or discrepancies that may be affecting the conservation of angular momentum in the experiment.