Why Is Answer A Correct for the Oscillation Problem?

• Thread starter magiclink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary, the conversation is about a question on oscillation and the correct answer is A. The person initially thought C was the correct answer but then realized that the vectors must add vectorally to equal zero if the ball is stationary. It is also mentioned that the conversation is about IB Physics.
magiclink

Homework Statement

Hi! My question is about oscillation. The multiple choice answers and question is included in the picture attached! I also happen to know the answer is A by looking at the marscheme.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would've thought that since the ball is said to be held "stationary" in that position the forces would all have to be equal. Thus i would've thought C was the correct answer. If they had said that it's an oscillation where the ball is in position P and not mentioned it being held stationary, I would've answered A, however, knowing that the forces would've had to be unbalanced and acting towards the equilbrium point. Could anybody explain exactly why it's A? and not C? I think my problem is probably largely due to interpretation of the question. Thankyou for any replies!

Attachments

• Oscillation question.jpg
    Oscillation question.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
If the ball is stationary then the forces must sum to zero net force. If they were all equal, would the sum be zero? Remember, you're adding vectors here.

Hi, magiclink!
Is that IB Physics?

Hey! I just looked at the question and gave it a good look again. Turns out that the vectors did add vectorally to equal zero. A bit of an optical illusion to me. Thanks anyways! Sorry for wasting your time! :)

And yes, tis IB physics indeed. ;)

Hello,

It seems like you are having trouble understanding the concept of oscillation and how it applies to this particular problem. Oscillation refers to a repeated back-and-forth movement around an equilibrium point. In this case, the ball is held stationary at position P, which means it is at the equilibrium point. The forces acting on the ball are balanced, and the ball is not moving. If the ball were to be released, it would start oscillating around position P.

The question asks which force would cause the ball to return to position P if it is displaced. Since the ball is already at position P, the correct answer is A, as it represents the force that would bring the ball back to its equilibrium point. Option C refers to a force that would cause the ball to move away from its equilibrium point, which is not what is being asked in the question.

I hope this explanation helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Why Is Answer A Correct for the Oscillation Problem?

1. What is an oscillation problem?

An oscillation problem, also known as a vibration problem, is a phenomenon where a system or object moves back and forth repeatedly around a central position. This can occur in a variety of systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and biological systems.

2. What causes oscillation problems?

Oscillation problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces, imbalances in the system, or changes in stiffness or damping. They can also arise from resonance, which occurs when the frequency of external forces matches the natural frequency of the system.

3. How do you solve an oscillation problem?

The solution to an oscillation problem depends on the specific system and its underlying causes. Some common approaches include adjusting the parameters of the system, adding damping or stiffness, or changing the frequency of external forces. Analytical and numerical methods can also be used to model and predict the behavior of the system.

4. What are some real-life examples of oscillation problems?

Oscillation problems can be observed in many everyday situations. Examples include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a guitar string vibrating to produce sound, a car's suspension system responding to bumps on the road, and a bridge swaying in the wind.

5. Why is it important to understand oscillation problems?

Understanding oscillation problems is crucial in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of systems to ensure their stability and efficiency. It also helps us to design and improve technologies that utilize oscillatory motion, such as musical instruments, bridges, and electronic devices.