Why is a potentiometer used in this circuit instead of a variable resistor?

In summary: The potentiometer is used to set the voltage on the Voltmeter. If the Voltmeter read higher than the potentiometer is set to, then current would flow from the battery through the resistor and the potentiometer, and the potential at the point A would be higher than the potential at the point C. If the Voltmeter read lower than the potentiometer is set to, then current would flow from the battery through the resistor and the potentiometer, and the potential at the point A would be lower than the potential at the point C.
Effect
I want to understand how this circuit demonstrating the photoelectric effect works. Please see attached picture.
?temp_hash=37e06220550d4795670c14017d0d3890.png

On the picture we see light entering the cathode C, which, if the light is above the threshold frequency can eject electrons from the cathode, which hits the anode A, creating a (conventional) current flowing from A to C. This current can be measured in the Ammeter and the voltage can be measured in the Voltmeter. Then we can connect a battery, where we can put in a "retarding voltage". The retarding voltage can then be increased until the current between A and C becomes zero. From this point on and for higher retarding voltage the electrons with the most kinetic energy don't have enough energy to make it through from C to A anymore. So if we for example know that the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons is 1.5 eV, then this will happen when the retarding voltage is increased to 1,5 V. Correct so far?

So then, I think the only thing I don't understand about this circuit is why there is a potentiometer in it. I understand it's to regulate the voltage from the battery, as I described above, but it seems unnecessary to use a potentiometer for that. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have a variable resistor?

Attachments

• pee.png
    pee.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 2,995
Physics news on Phys.org
The battery and potentiometer are used to set the retarding voltage that you read on the voltmeter. The potentiometer is nothing else than two variable resistor used as a voltage divider. The photocurrent flows through the Ampmeter and potentiometer back to the cathode C and never builds up much of a potential of its own.

This is a bit of a schematic circuit diagram. To make accurate measurements you would have to make it a bit more complicated.

Effect said:
So then, I think the only thing I don't understand about this circuit is why there is a potentiometer in it. I understand it's to regulate the voltage from the battery, as I described above, but it seems unnecessary to use a potentiometer for that. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have a variable resistor?

If there were no 'lower half' to the potential divider then what potential would appear at the point A and what current would flow? Would things change if the 'top half' resistor value changed? If you answer that, you should see why you need the lower half of the potential controller.

Related to Why is a potentiometer used in this circuit instead of a variable resistor?

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887, but it was Albert Einstein who provided a theoretical explanation for it in 1905 through his work on the quantum nature of light.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was a key discovery in the development of quantum mechanics and helped to confirm the particle-wave duality of light. It also has practical applications in technology, such as solar panels and photodiodes.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity, frequency, and wavelength of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material, all play a role in the photoelectric effect. Higher frequency light and certain materials with lower work functions can lead to a greater number of emitted electrons.

How does the photoelectric effect support the particle nature of light?

Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect showed that light behaves as discrete packets of energy, known as photons. The energy of these photons is directly proportional to the frequency of the light, supporting the idea that light has both wave and particle properties.