Why Iron Produces Green Light in Visible Spectrum

In summary, a sample of iron sulphate only produces lines in the green section of the spectrum because the energy levels of the electrons in iron sulphate are different than in pure iron. Due to the interaction between electrons, only certain energy levels can be reached, resulting in photons being emitted in the green section of the spectrum. This is why the sample does not produce lines in other sections of the spectrum.
Idyllic

Homework Statement

Iron produces many lines in the visible spectrum when given energy. Suggest why a sample of iron sulphate only produces lines in the green section of the spectrum.

Sorry if it doesn't sound very scientific, I am recalling the question from memory since I've already handed up the assignment. Assume that the answer has nothing to do with the sulfate or water present.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im doing yr12 physics in South Australia, so far in 'the structure of the atom' we have learned about the absorption and emission spectrum.
This is one question from our homework assignment, and i refused to answer it because i believe the answer involves a great deal more than just what we've learned so far. iron in iron sulphate has 2 less electrons, and i don't believe that its as simple as saying that its 'combinations' or 'possibilities' of different energies of photons released has changed because of the different ratio of protons/electrons attracting each other.

I think this is a question that the teacher made up, no its not a very good one, and i reckon a question like this will definately not be in the exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
My teacher is not very good at physics, so i don't think the answer to this question is actually something that is even taught in yr12.I believe the reason why iron sulphate only produces lines in the green section of the spectrum is because the energy levels of the electrons in the iron are different than in pure iron. When an electron in the iron sulphate is excited, it can only reach certain energy levels due to the way the electrons interact with each other, and therefore it can only emit photons of certain energies. Therefore, the photons emitted will only be in the green section of the spectrum.

I would suggest that the reason iron produces green light in the visible spectrum is due to its electronic structure and energy levels. Iron has multiple energy levels within its electrons, and when given energy, these electrons can jump to higher energy levels. When the electrons return to their original energy level, they release energy in the form of light. The specific wavelength of light that is released depends on the difference in energy between the two levels. In the case of iron, the energy difference between the levels that produce green light is the most common and easiest to achieve. This could explain why a sample of iron sulfate only produces lines in the green section of the spectrum. Additionally, it is possible that the other energy levels are not easily accessible or are not affected by the energy given to the sample, resulting in only green light being produced. However, further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the specific reasons for this phenomenon.

Related to Why Iron Produces Green Light in Visible Spectrum

1. Why does iron produce green light in the visible spectrum?

Iron produces green light in the visible spectrum due to its atomic structure and the energy levels of its electrons. When energy is applied to iron atoms, the outermost electrons become excited and move to higher energy levels. As these electrons return to their original energy level, they release excess energy in the form of light, specifically in the green wavelength range.

2. What causes the green color in iron flames?

The green color in iron flames is caused by the release of energy in the form of light as excited electrons return to their ground state. This light has a specific wavelength in the green spectrum, which gives the flame its green color.

3. Can other elements produce green light in the visible spectrum?

Yes, other elements can also produce green light in the visible spectrum. Some examples include copper, barium, and thallium. The specific color of light produced by an element depends on its atomic structure and the energy levels of its electrons.

4. Why is the visible spectrum important in studying iron?

The visible spectrum is important in studying iron because it allows us to observe and understand the behavior of its electrons. By analyzing the specific wavelength of light emitted by iron atoms, we can gain insight into its atomic structure and chemical properties.

5. How does the green light produced by iron affect its properties?

The green light produced by iron does not directly affect its properties. However, the energy levels of iron's electrons that result in the production of green light can influence its chemical reactivity and bonding behavior with other elements. Additionally, the presence of green light in iron flames can help identify the element in various chemical reactions and experiments.