New Anti-Spam Scheme from Microsoft

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, Microsoft has proposed a new method for slowing down spammers from sending mass emails by implementing a 'puzzle' that must be solved before the email can be sent. This will limit the amount of emails that can be sent at once, with a maximum of 8000 per day. However, this may cause inconvenience for individuals sending emails to multiple recipients. Some users suggest using Bayesian spam filters to completely eliminate spam and put spammers out of business.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3324883.stm

Microsoft came with a new scheme to slow spammers from sending millions of e-mails. It sounds strange to me, but they want to implement a 'puzzle' which needs to be solved, before the email can be sent. This takes about 10-20 secs. This time investment is on the sender's side, and thus the amount of email that can be sent at a time is limited. 8000 messages a day at most, apparently.

I wonder what happens if I want to sent an email to a bunch of friends of mine, I'd have to wait one minute for three friends? Nice..

Computer science news on Phys.org
check out my thoughts on an anti-spam system over at TalkRoot:

http://www.talkroot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=285

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wondered what the D stood for.. :P

Did you know that if anybody used bysononian(probabalistic, sp?) spam filters (or any), all the spammers would go out of buisiness; ie Bankrupt (read: No spam).

1. What is the "New Anti-Spam Scheme from Microsoft"?

The "New Anti-Spam Scheme from Microsoft" is a set of tools and techniques developed by Microsoft to combat spam emails and protect users from unsolicited and potentially harmful messages.

2. How does the "New Anti-Spam Scheme" work?

The "New Anti-Spam Scheme" uses a combination of machine learning, artificial intelligence, and user feedback to identify and filter out spam emails. It also includes features such as sender authentication and reputation scoring to verify the legitimacy of incoming emails.

3. Will the "New Anti-Spam Scheme" block all spam emails?

While the "New Anti-Spam Scheme" is designed to significantly reduce the amount of spam emails that users receive, it may not catch every single one. Some spam messages may still slip through the filters, but the system will continue to learn and improve over time.

4. Can I customize the "New Anti-Spam Scheme" for my specific needs?

Yes, the "New Anti-Spam Scheme" allows for customization based on individual preferences and needs. Users can adjust the filters and settings to better suit their email habits and preferences.

5. Is the "New Anti-Spam Scheme" available for all email providers?

No, currently the "New Anti-Spam Scheme" is only available for Microsoft email services such as Outlook and Hotmail. However, other email providers may adopt similar anti-spam measures in the future.