Does the Theory of Relativity Affect the Concept of Mass?

• Thread starter Merkur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: La parola "massa" si riferisce essenzialmente alla costante proportionale tra forza applicata e accelerazione percepita:F = m aWeight è forza -- il forza che ti stringe adesso, per esempio.In un satellite, un corpo con la massa di 1 kg si comporterebbe come se avesse la massa di 9,8 Newton sulla Terra, ma se applicasse la stessa forza ad un corpo con la massa di 1 kg su entrambi i pianeti, l'accelerazione sarebbe la stessa.-
Merkur
Hallo everybody!

Now I’ve got another problem:

Is „mass“ really absolute or does it depend on the gravity?

(Here, I really think of „mass“, not of „weight“)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The word "mass" refers essentially to the proportionality constant between applied force and experienced acceleration:

F = m a

Weight is force -- the force pulling you to the Earth right now, for example. On the Moon, a body with a mass of 1 kg will not weight 9.8 Newtons like it does on Earth -- it will weigh less. However, if you apply the same force to the 1 kg mass on both the Earth and the Moon, the mass will accelerate the same way in both places.

- Warren

From what I understand of GR, mass is more massive in a stronger gravitational field, because the field equation has a sort of positive feedback. In other words, a mass in a g-field has an energy because it is in the g-field. This energy contributes to the amount of gravitation, which is directly related to the mass.

i feel....

before i begin, this is my own idea not any sort of a theory. i feel mass is something that exist when there is a charge. Look at an atom it has charge(inside it) and it has mass. but now look at light, it has no charge and it has no mass. So i feel that mass is something caused by charge in space time.

I might be wrong, if i am please correct me.

-Benzun
All For God.

Originally posted by chroot
The word "mass" refers essentially to the proportionality constant between applied force and experienced acceleration:

F = m a

Weight is force -- the force pulling you to the Earth right now, for example. On the Moon, a body with a mass of 1 kg will not weight 9.8 Newtons like it does on Earth -- it will weigh less. However, if you apply the same force to the 1 kg mass on both the Earth and the Moon, the mass will accelerate the same way in both places.

- Warren

Thank you for your answers ... :smile:

But I do know the difference between mass and weight ...

But does the relativity theory cause any mutation of mass, too (when anything passes anything with a particular speed)?

Mille grazie!

1. What is mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in units of kilograms (kg) or grams (g).

2. How is mass different from weight?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different measurements. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of gravity, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

3. How is mass measured?

Mass is typically measured using a balance scale or electronic scale. A balance scale compares the mass of an object to known masses, while an electronic scale measures the force exerted by an object due to its mass.

4. Why is mass an important concept in science?

Mass is an important concept in science because it is a fundamental property of matter. It is used to describe the amount of matter in an object and is necessary for many scientific calculations and theories.

5. Can mass be created or destroyed?

According to the Law of Conservation of Mass, mass cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or converted into other forms of matter or energy. This principle is a fundamental concept in chemistry and physics.