Why homologous proton don't split signal of each other in proton nmr?

In summary, the proton's magnetic field affects the magnetic field of nearby proton whether they are homologous or not. This discrimination arises because non-equivalent protons can align either toward or against the magnetic field of a given proton. However, for equivalent protons, the magnetic field is the same regardless of their orientation.
Ahmed Abdullah
Each proton has it's own magnetic field so it should effect the magnetic field of all nearby proton whether it is homologous (equivalent) or not. I don't understand how this discrimination arise?
How a proton understand - "that proton is like me so I shoudn't ... ... ... " I mean it's ridiculous. In organic chemistry textbooks it says that, non-equivalent proton split signal because they can align either toward or against the magnetic field of a given proton. Now I don't understand why it should only apply to non-equivalent protons? Not to equivalent protons?
I am not really getting it. Please help me.
Can anyone explain the theory, please?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is it possible that homologous or equivalent protons are somehow connected with each other in the sense that they all change orientation in synchronous fashion and can't do it independently from each other?

Of course the protons see the field of each other. Consider two equivalent protons. As the coupling commutes with total spin, I can combine the two spins into a siglet state (S=0, spins anti-parallel) and 3 triplet states (spins parallel). Without magnetic field, the triplet states will be degenerate but their energy will be different from the energy of the singlet state, because in the triplet state, the spins are parallel while they are anti-parallel in the singlet state.
Swiching on the magnetic field, the triplet will be split up into 3 with M=-1, 0 , 1 which are equidistant. The radiofrequency can only induce transitions within the triplet, so that you only see one line. However, if the two protons are slightly different, then there can also be transitions from the singlet (M=0) to the triplet states with M=+1 and -1.
However these two lines will be very weak for nearly equivalent protons. Also the two transitions within the triplet from M=0 to M=1 and from M=-1 to M=0 will not be exactly degenerate, because the singlet state and the M=0 state of the triplet will "repell" each other. If you try to figure out the situation, you will see that it describes the "roof effect", i.e. two nearly degenerate intensive lines and two lines which are further off and which are very weak.

Related to Why homologous proton don't split signal of each other in proton nmr?

1. Why do homologous protons not split the signal of each other in proton NMR?

Homologous protons do not split each other's signal in proton NMR because they have the same chemical environment and therefore experience the same magnetic field. This results in them having the same resonance frequency and not interacting with each other.

2. What is the difference between homologous and non-homologous protons in proton NMR?

Homologous protons are protons that have the same chemical environment and do not split each other's signal in proton NMR. Non-homologous protons have different chemical environments and can split each other's signal due to their different resonance frequencies.

3. Can homologous protons ever split each other's signal in proton NMR?

No, homologous protons will never split each other's signal in proton NMR because they have the same resonance frequency and do not experience any magnetic field differences.

4. How do homologous protons affect the integration values in proton NMR?

Homologous protons do not affect the integration values in proton NMR because they do not split each other's signal. This means that the area under each peak is proportional to the number of equivalent protons present in the compound.

5. Can homologous protons be distinguished from each other in proton NMR?

No, homologous protons cannot be distinguished from each other in proton NMR because they have the same chemical environment and therefore produce the same signal. Additional techniques, such as 2D NMR, may be used to differentiate between homologous protons.