Why higher resistance means more heat produced in a circuit

In summary, there is a misconception that higher resistance results in lower power dissipated as heat in a heating element. However, when designing an appliance with a heating element, the resistance is fixed by the equation P=V^2/R and the only question is what material, length, and width to use. The equation P=I^2R is valid when talking about power, but when connecting the heating element to a voltage source, it is more accurate to use P=V^2/R to maintain a constant voltage across the circuit.
sgstudent
They say that nichrome is a better heating element as it has a higher resistance. But if I take V=RI then ain't I decrease since R is high, so current is lesser. Thus, resulting in a lower power dissipated as heat?
Also, they aq if I use the wrong wires like thin wires, it will cause a lot of heat produced as thin wires has a lot of resistance. Using the same reasoning I don't get why higher resistance results in greater power...

If current is constant then greater resistance results in greater power but I thought that voltage is usually constant? So when R increases, I will decrease and cause low power?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
sgstudent said:
They say...
Who are "they"? They're wrong.

russ_watters said:
Who are "they"? They're wrong.

Nichrome is a good heating element.

From Wikipedia :
"A heating element converts electricity into heat through the process of Joule heating. Electric current through the element encounters resistance, resulting in heating of the element.
Most heating elements use Nichrome 80/20 (80% nickel, 20% chromium) wire, ribbon, or strip. Nichrome 80/20 is an ideal material, because it has relatively high resistance and forms an adherent layer of chromium oxide when it is heated for the first time."

If you want to design a washing machine, or a water cooker, you know in advance what power the heating element should produce, and so you know the resistance it should have.

You can then use a short thick wire made of nichrome, or a longer or thinner wire made of some other material with a lower resistivity.
If you make the wire thinner, it will also become hotter, because the same amount of heat has to flow through the smaller surface area of the wire.
If you make the wire longer, it won't fit.

So you have to make the wire both thinner and longer, and it will have to be rolled up somehow inside the heating element, if you don't want to make the heating element itself larger.
Electrical isolation will be a pain, since plastic, rubber etc. won't stand the heat, and you probably need a ceramic around the wires.

You're forgetting the resistance of the power source and transmission lines. If the heating coil were made of a similar length of similar gauge copper, it would draw huge amounts of current, but most of the voltage would be dropped across wiring rather than the heating element.

sgstudent said:
They say that nichrome is a better heating element as it has a higher resistance. But if I take V=RI then ain't I decrease since R is high, so current is lesser. Thus, resulting in a lower power dissipated as heat?
Also, they aq if I use the wrong wires like thin wires, it will cause a lot of heat produced as thin wires has a lot of resistance. Using the same reasoning I don't get why higher resistance results in greater power...

If current is constant then greater resistance results in greater power but I thought that voltage is usually constant? So when R increases, I will decrease and cause low power?

Thanks for the help!

[itex]P = I^{2}R[/itex]

So as resistance increases, power does too...

OJFord said:
[itex]P = I^{2}R[/itex]

So as resistance increases, power does too...

This is not the equation you use, when you design an appliance with a heating element in it.
You know that the voltage across the resistance will be equal to the mains voltage, and that the the power must be whatever is needed to drive your hair dryer, toaster or whatever.

The resistance is thus fixed by P = V^2/R, and the only question is what material, length and width to use to make such a resistance. See my earlier post.

willem2 said:
This is not the equation you use, when you design an appliance with a heating element in it.
You know that the voltage across the resistance will be equal to the mains voltage, and that the the power must be whatever is needed to drive your hair dryer, toaster or whatever.

The resistance is thus fixed by P = V^2/R, and the only question is what material, length and width to use to make such a resistance. See my earlier post.

Apologies, I didn't really read the question fully.

But regardless, if you do not assume that you are working in this manner, the equation P=I^2R holds true for heating elements, surely?!

Ie, I'm testing some different elements of varying resistance, and recording the power output when driven from the same source. P will be greater for elements of greater resistance - that's all I was saying.

OJFord said:
Apologies, I didn't really read the question fully.

But regardless, if you do not assume that you are working in this manner, the equation P=I^2R holds true for heating elements, surely?!

Ie, I'm testing some different elements of varying resistance, and recording the power output when driven from the same source. P will be greater for elements of greater resistance - that's all I was saying.

Both equations are valid when talking about power, but the point here is that we are connecting our heating element to a voltage source. So the the voltage across the circuit is going to remain the same as long as the current draw is within reason. That's why you work from V^2/R. Now if you use I^2R, the problem is that the current is going to change due to the equivalent resistance of your circuit. So while you may increase the resistance, you will also see a decrease in the current from the same voltage source.

Shut the switch off, which is essentially introducing infinity ohms into the circiut. See how hot it gets then when the current drops to 0.

Related to Why higher resistance means more heat produced in a circuit

What is resistance and how does it affect heat production in a circuit?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. In a circuit, higher resistance means there is more opposition to the flow of current, leading to an increase in heat produced.

Why does higher resistance lead to more heat production?

As electrons flow through a circuit, they encounter resistance from the atoms and molecules in the material. This resistance causes the electrons to collide with the atoms and transfer their energy as heat. Therefore, the higher the resistance, the more collisions and energy transfer occurs, resulting in more heat produced.

What factors contribute to the resistance in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit depends on several factors such as the material the circuit is made of, the length and thickness of the material, and the temperature of the material. Generally, materials with high resistivity, longer length, and smaller cross-sectional area will have higher resistance.

Why is heat production a concern in circuits?

Excessive heat can damage the components of a circuit and lead to malfunction or failure. It is important to consider the resistance in a circuit to prevent overheating and ensure safe and efficient operation.

How can resistance and heat production be controlled in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit can be controlled by using materials with lower resistivity, shorter length, and larger cross-sectional area. Additionally, using thicker wires, proper insulation, and implementing cooling mechanisms can help manage heat production in a circuit.