Why have a minimum temperature

In summary: If so, why not just say atoms have a minimum and maximum temperature? Hi everybody...I have a sutupid questionf for you. Question is:Why have i a minimum temperature (-273 celsisus) and no maximum temperature in nature?Tanks...Atoms are made of subatomic particles. The more energy you dump into your system, the more likely it is that you will strip the electrons off, then the nucleus itself, and then that into smaller particles. You can't have any arbitrarily high energy level while maintaining the atomic structure of what your looking at.
cataldo
Hi everybody...I have a sutupid questionf for you. Question is:
Why have i a minimum temperature (-273 celsisus) and no maximum temperature in nature?
Tanks...

Science news on Phys.org

its not much different from asking why is there a lowest natural number, but no highest natural number?

you can have infinite temperature, in principle, with infinite kinetic energy of the particles involved...
if you want to get technical, it would be bounded by something proportional to the total energy of the universe.

Mephisto said:
its not much different from asking why is there a lowest natural number, but no highest natural number?

you can have infinite temperature, in principle, with infinite kinetic energy of the particles involved...
if you want to get technical, it would be bounded by something proportional to the total energy of the universe.

What? Atoms are made of subatomic particles. The more energy you dump into your system, the more likely it is that you will strip the electrons off, then the nucleus itself, and then that into smaller particles. You can't have any arbitrarily high energy level while maintaining the atomic structure of what your looking at.

cataldo said:
Why have i a minimum temperature (-273 celsisus) and no maximum temperature in nature?
Tanks...

It's jusk like you have a balance, in which you can put something and measure its weight. The weight can be zero, can be a certain value , a bigger value and bigger... you can not have the top end if the balance allows . speaking differently, it has lower limit (zero) , but has no higher limit.

cataldo said:
Tanks...

Just think of what temperature means. At absolute zero, the subatomic particles aren't moving at all. There is no kinetic energy. If something is not moving at all, how can you make it move less?

Also, I may be wrong about this, but I'd imagine there is some upper limit on temperature. We would need conditions like the very beginning of the universe to have certain temperatures. At some temperature, I'd imagine matter would shake itself apart completely.

tanks for your answers...can you ask if there is a mathematical proof on this matter especially at atomic and sub-atomic level?
Best regards
Aldo

Cyrus said:
What? Atoms are made of subatomic particles. The more energy you dump into your system, the more likely it is that you will strip the electrons off, then the nucleus itself, and then that into smaller particles. You can't have any arbitrarily high energy level while maintaining the atomic structure of what your looking at.

right, but you can still talk about the kinetic energy of the constituents, whatever they may be. Is temperature defined strictly for atoms?

Related to Why have a minimum temperature

What is the purpose of having a minimum temperature?

The minimum temperature serves as a baseline for maintaining a stable environment. It helps regulate chemical reactions, biological processes, and physical properties of substances.

Why is it important to have a minimum temperature in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, having a minimum temperature ensures that the results are accurate and reliable. It helps control variables and prevents reactions from occurring too quickly or not at all.

What happens if there is no minimum temperature in an experiment or environment?

Without a minimum temperature, substances may not react as expected or may react too quickly, leading to inaccurate results. In extreme cases, it can also cause damage to equipment or harm living organisms.

How is the minimum temperature determined?

The minimum temperature is determined by various factors such as the properties of the substances being studied, the desired outcome of the experiment, and the type of equipment used. It is usually determined through prior research and experimentation.

Can the minimum temperature change?

Yes, the minimum temperature can change depending on the conditions of the experiment or environment. It can also be affected by external factors such as humidity, pressure, and the presence of other substances.