Why doesn't the hydrogen spectrum show binding energies of 4.53 or 2.26 evolts?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difficulty in solving for the quantum mechanics of a water molecule due to it being a many body system. The hydrogen spectrum only shows binding energies of -13.6, -3.4, -1.511, -.85, and -.544 evolts, but not 4.53 or 2.26 evolts, which may be the result of the complexity of the water molecule's structure. The individual components of a water molecule, such as a hydrogen atom or molecule, have simpler quantum mechanics that can be solved more easily. The purpose of the conversation is to understand the relationship between bonding energies and the photons produced when bonds are broken in order to create a visual representation of the process
edguy99
Gold Member
Just joined so I hope I'm in the right place:

My Question: I read that in the creation of a water molecules, a pair of hydrogen molecules break apart releasing 4.53 evolts of energy.
Why does the hydrogen spectrum show binding energies of -13.6, -3.4 ,-1.511, -.85, -.544 but not 4.53 or even 2.26 evolts?

Physics news on Phys.org
the water molecule is not a hydrogen atom. The water molecule's quantum mechanics is much more difficult to solve because it is a many body system whereas, effectively, the hydrogen atom is a single particle system. a hydrogen molecule, similarly, is not a hydrogen atom. a hydrogen molecule is also more difficult.

Thanks for the reply. In a little more detail, I am trying to draw graphics to represent the bonding energies for Hydrogen and Hydrogen2 molecules and eventually build a water molecule.

To do this, I am connecting the most likely location of the electron(s) to the proton(s) and showing the energy of the photon produced if the bond is broken. The problem I have with this representation is when you break Hydrogen2 bonds, do you get 2.26 evolt photons and if so, why wouldn't this level of radiation show up in a hydrogen spectrum? Or does it?

I hope the little picture below helps show what I am trying to draw.

Attachments

• orbital.JPG
    orbital.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 499

Related to Why doesn't the hydrogen spectrum show binding energies of 4.53 or 2.26 evolts?

1. What is hydrogen binding energy and why is it important in chemistry?

Hydrogen binding energy is the energy required to break the bond between a hydrogen atom and another atom in a molecule. It is important in chemistry because it determines the stability and reactivity of molecules. Higher binding energies indicate stronger bonds, making the molecule more stable and less likely to react with other substances.

2. How is hydrogen binding energy measured?

Hydrogen binding energy is typically measured using spectroscopic techniques such as infrared or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the energy absorbed or emitted by the hydrogen atom in a molecule, which can then be used to calculate the binding energy.

3. What factors affect the hydrogen binding energy?

The hydrogen binding energy is affected by several factors, including the electronegativity of the atoms involved, the distance between the hydrogen atom and the other atom, and the molecular geometry. The strength of the bond can also be influenced by the presence of other atoms or functional groups in the molecule.

4. How does hydrogen binding energy impact chemical reactions?

The strength of the hydrogen bond can significantly impact the rate and outcome of chemical reactions. In some cases, a higher binding energy can make it more difficult for reactants to overcome the energy barrier required for a reaction to occur, slowing down the reaction. On the other hand, a weaker binding energy can make it easier for reactants to break apart and form new bonds, leading to a faster reaction rate.

5. Can hydrogen binding energy be manipulated?

Yes, hydrogen binding energy can be manipulated through various means, such as changing the molecular structure or introducing different functional groups. This can alter the strength of the bond and ultimately impact the reactivity and properties of the molecule. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect the hydrogen binding energy in a molecule.