Why doesn't my magnet stick to the hhd magnetic plate?

In summary, the magnet does not seem to have an effect on the electric current conducted through the material of the hard drive.
Pithikos
I opened my harddisk and put a magnet on the plates but the plate acts like a piece of wood. I would expect the magnet to stick to the plate. It is a magnetic plate afterall! My "magnet" is in fact a row of neo cube balls which are quite strong magnets and small. So I would surely feel or see a tiny magnetic behaviour if there was one.

Then some other question arose in my brain. Are all electric conductors influenced by magnetism? Are all electric conductors even heat conductors?

Physics news on Phys.org
The material which makes up your hard disc takes an immensely strong local magnetic field to magnetise it one way or another. The record head produces a high enough field to magnetise, (permanently - until it's re-written), a minute part of the disc (one bit's worth) in the direction it needs. All these recorded bits are magnetised permanently in 'up' and 'down' directions - if you looked with a microscope or read with another 'read' head, you could see this. Your permanent magnet, however, is right next to millions of bits which, on average, have the same number of Ns as Ss so the magnet is neither attracted nor repelled.
I think that a suitably prepared disc could actually be arranged to be attracted to your magnet.

I believe that it was actually years and years ago that floppy disc material was very sensitive to the moderate fields around 'normal' permanent magnets. The dire warnings were very much over-stated for years.

sophiecentaur said:
Your permanent magnet, however, is right next to millions of bits which, on average, have the same number of Ns as Ss so the magnet is neither attracted nor repelled.

Interesting thought.
But, wouldn't the strong neo magnet "flip" the repulsive "bits" and thus causing the iron oxide coated aluminum platter to be attracted?
Not sure, just asking.

No. The remnance is too high. The flux of the write head isn't that high but the flux density is. It's the flux density that determines whether a particular grain of ferrite flips or not.

sophiecentaur said:
No. The remnance is too high. The flux of the write head isn't that high but the flux density is. It's the flux density that determines whether a particular grain of ferrite flips or not.

Just to clarify:
1) Is the flux density of a write head greater than that of a surface-touching neo magnet?
2) Is the relatively thin iron oxide coating resistant to domain flip from a touching neodymium magnet?

I get the feeling that your experiment demonstrated this. If you used the magnetic disc and not some other part, that is. ;-)

pallidin said:
Just to clarify:
1) Is the flux density of a write head greater than that of a surface-touching neo magnet?
2) Is the relatively thin iron oxide coating resistant to domain flip from a touching neodymium magnet?

I suspect that the domains are flipping when the neodymium magnet touches them, but the lack of noticeable force is purely due to the extremely thin layer of actively magnetic material (on the order of only tens of nanometer).

Good explanation. Now you have to put the disc bac in and try to read it.

Related to Why doesn't my magnet stick to the hhd magnetic plate?

1. Why doesn't my magnet stick to the hhd magnetic plate?

There could be several reasons why your magnet is not sticking to the hhd magnetic plate. One possibility is that the magnet is not strong enough to overcome the magnetic force of the plate. Another possibility is that the plate is not made of a magnetic material, such as stainless steel. Additionally, if the magnet and plate are not in direct contact, such as if there is a layer of insulation or another material between them, the magnet may not stick.

2. Can I use any type of magnet with the hhd magnetic plate?

No, not all magnets are compatible with the hhd magnetic plate. The plate is designed to work with magnets made of certain materials, such as neodymium or ferrite. These types of magnets are known for their strong magnetic properties and are commonly used in electronic devices.

3. How can I make my magnet stick to the hhd magnetic plate?

If your magnet is not sticking to the hhd magnetic plate, you can try using a stronger magnet or ensuring that the magnet and plate are in direct contact. You can also try cleaning both the magnet and plate to remove any dirt or debris that may be preventing them from sticking together.

4. Will the hhd magnetic plate lose its magnetism over time?

It is possible for the hhd magnetic plate to lose its magnetism over time, especially if it is exposed to high temperatures or strong magnetic fields. However, with proper care and usage, the plate should maintain its magnetic properties for a long time.

5. Can the hhd magnetic plate damage my electronic device?

In general, the hhd magnetic plate should not cause any damage to your electronic device. However, if you are using a particularly strong magnet, there is a small possibility that it could interfere with the delicate electronic components inside the device. It is always best to use a magnet that is specifically designed for use with electronic devices.