Why Doesn't My Homemade Nitrogen Tube Light Up in the Microwave?

In summary, a physicist on TV demonstrated that when an argon or nitrogen sealed glass tube is placed in a microwave, it emits visible light. However, when a sealed glass jar with a glued lexan lid is placed in the microwave, no light is emitted. This is because the tube is filled with low-pressure gas, while the jar contains a mixture of gases at regular pressure. By reducing the pressure in the jar, it may emit light. This is known as Paschen's law.
cragar
I remember seeing a physicist on TV putting an argon or nitrogen sealed glass tube in a microwave and when he turned it on the tube started flashing an emitting visible light,
So how come when i put a sealed glass jar that i glued a lexan lid on in the microwave it does not emit light , i realize that the air in the jar is a mixture of gases , there is probably something fundamental i am missing .

Science news on Phys.org
cragar said:
I remember seeing a physicist on TV putting an argon or nitrogen sealed glass tube in a microwave and when he turned it on the tube started flashing an emitting visible light,
So how come when i put a sealed glass jar that i glued a lexan lid on in the microwave it does not emit light , i realize that the air in the jar is a mixture of gases , there is probably something fundamental i am missing .

The factor you're missing is pressure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

The tubes are filled with low-pressure argon or neon in an otherwise evacuated tube.

Thanks for the answers ,
so if i evacuated some of the air in the tube , and reduced the pressure would it emit light .

It is interesting to see the different reactions of different gases in a microwave. The physicist you saw on TV was most likely using a nitrogen tube to demonstrate a principle called "dielectric breakdown." This occurs when the electric field inside the tube becomes strong enough to cause the nitrogen molecules to break apart, releasing energy in the form of light. This phenomenon is similar to what happens in a neon light or a plasma globe.

When you put a sealed glass jar with a lexan lid in the microwave, the air inside is a mixture of gases, as you mentioned. This mixture may not have the same dielectric properties as pure nitrogen, so the electric field inside the jar may not be strong enough to cause dielectric breakdown and emit light. Additionally, the presence of the lexan lid may also affect the electric field and prevent dielectric breakdown.

It is important to note that microwaves are not meant to be used as a laboratory tool and can be dangerous if not used properly. I would not recommend trying to replicate this experiment at home. As a scientist, it is always important to understand the underlying principles and limitations of any experiment before attempting to replicate it.

Related to Why Doesn't My Homemade Nitrogen Tube Light Up in the Microwave?

1. What is a nitrogen tube in a microwave?

A nitrogen tube in a microwave is a specially designed tube that is used to introduce nitrogen gas into the microwave during experiments or processes. It helps to create an inert atmosphere to prevent reactions or to facilitate specific reactions.

2. How does a nitrogen tube work in a microwave?

The nitrogen tube is connected to the microwave and releases a steady stream of nitrogen gas into the chamber. This helps to create a non-reactive environment, which can be useful for experiments that involve sensitive compounds or reactions.

3. What are the benefits of using a nitrogen tube in a microwave?

The use of a nitrogen tube in a microwave can provide several benefits. It can help to prevent unwanted reactions and contamination, improve reaction efficiency, and reduce the risk of explosions or fires in certain experiments. It also allows for better control over the reaction environment.

4. Can any type of nitrogen gas be used in a microwave?

No, not all types of nitrogen gas can be used in a microwave. It is important to use high-purity nitrogen gas that is free of any impurities or contaminants. This ensures the accuracy and reliability of the experiment or process being conducted.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a nitrogen tube in a microwave?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when using a nitrogen tube in a microwave. It is important to properly ventilate the microwave and to use appropriate protective gear when handling the nitrogen gas. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for safe and proper use of the nitrogen tube.