Why doeslight "turn" when it travels through water?

• Thread starter marksyncm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the speaker is questioning why light changes direction when passing through different mediums with varying refractive indices. They have always been taught that this is due to a change in speed, but they are struggling to understand how this results in a change in direction. They are seeking further explanation and have found diagrams and resources online to help them understand the concept better. The speaker is grateful for the response and plans to continue researching the topic.
marksyncm
This might be a silly question.

Ever since I can remember, I've been taught that when light crosses the boundary between two mediums with different refractive indices, its trajectory changes due to a reduction or increase in its speed. I've never given this a second thought, but today I realized I have absolutely no clue why this happens.

My problem is in making the leap from light slows down to therefore it turns. In my mind, slowing down would only mean that it gets somewhere a little later. So if it takes a beam of light 1 nanosecond to get from point A to B in a vacuum, it should take 1.5 nanoseconds if the medium was water, but that's about the only difference I'm conceptualizing as a direct consequence of light "slowing down". Just like if a car were to slow down from 100 MPH to 70 MPH; I would not expect this to cause the car to turn, say, right, by 30 degrees - it would keep moving in the same direction as before, only slower.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
There are many diagrams available to help you here. This link shows how the wave crests become further apart as the light (or any other wave actually) crosses from a fast medium to a slow medium. There has to be continuity as the wave crosses the boundary - the crests cannot suddenly turn up somewhere else - and the only way is for the crests to be closer to each other and for their angle to change.
BTW, I googled refraction explanation wave front and got a huge number of hits. Try it.

Thank you; the "wave front" part of the search is what I was missing. A regular search for "refraction explanation" turned up mostly simplified explanations that did not show me a direct cause and effect. Much obliged, will read up.

Likes sophiecentaur
Your question is not silly. I wonder if anyone can help without help of maxwells equations.

1. Why does light "bend" when it travels through water?

Light bends when it travels through water due to a change in its speed. The change in speed is caused by the change in the medium through which it is traveling. In this case, the change in medium is from air to water, which has a different refractive index. This change in speed causes the light to change direction, giving the appearance of bending.

2. How does the refractive index of water affect the bending of light?

The refractive index of a medium is a measure of how much the speed of light changes when traveling through it. The higher the refractive index, the more the light will bend. Water has a higher refractive index than air, which is why light bends more when traveling through water than through air.

3. Does the color of light affect how much it bends when traveling through water?

Yes, the color of light does affect how much it bends when traveling through water. This is because different colors of light have different wavelengths, and the refractive index of a medium is dependent on the wavelength of light. This means that different colors of light will bend at different angles when traveling through water.

4. Can light "turn" in other mediums besides water?

Yes, light can "turn" in other mediums besides water. This phenomenon is known as refraction and can occur when light travels through any medium with a different refractive index, such as glass or plastic. However, the amount of bending will vary depending on the refractive index of the medium.

5. Why does light "turn" when traveling through water but not through air?

Light only appears to "turn" when traveling through water because the change in medium causes it to change speed and direction. In air, the change in speed is not significant enough to cause a noticeable change in direction. However, light does bend slightly when traveling through air, just not enough to be noticeable to the naked eye.