Why does x1i =r1 -y1j in Lorentz electromagnetic force?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the Lorentz electromagnetic force in a physics class. The confusion arises from a statement on page 5 of a document where the vector r is defined as xi + yj. The use of the Pythagorean theorem is explained to find the magnitude of r. The difference between dealing with a vector and its magnitude is clarified. Another question is raised on page 6 about the relation between vy1k and vxr.
retupmoc
When going over my notes on the lorentz electromagnetic force in my physics 3 electromagnetism class got a bit puzzled by one statement that seems just to be taken for granted. Could anyone help me and tell me why x1i =r1 -y1j on page 5 on http://www.physics.gla.ac.uk/~dland/ELMAG305/Elmag305txt1.pdf where frame 1 is the stationary frame and 2 the frame moving with velocity v to the right of frame 1

If its just by using pythagorus wouldn't the above quantities (x,y and r) be to the second power. i just can't get my head around this and realize its probably something really straight forward. any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the vector r = xi + yj by definition, see the figure on the previous page.

Using the Pythograean theorem you get the magnetude of r.

[tex] \mid \hat {r} \mid = \sqrt { x^2 + y^2 } [/tex]

You are dealing with the VECTOR r. See the difference?

Last edited:
haha yeah i do now and realize how obvious that was, thanks

Another quick question, why on page 6 of the slide does vy1k = v x r?

Related to Why does x1i =r1 -y1j in Lorentz electromagnetic force?

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the interaction between electrically charged particles and the effects of electric and magnetic fields on these particles.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields interact?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and can interact with each other to create an electromagnetic field. When an electric field changes, it creates a magnetic field and vice versa. This interaction is the basis for many devices such as motors and generators.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces its own magnetic field, while an electromagnet is created by passing an electric current through a wire. The strength of an electromagnet can be changed by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire, while a permanent magnet's strength is fixed.

4. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism is used in a wide range of everyday devices, such as computers, TVs, and cell phones. It is also used in power generation and transportation systems, such as trains and cars.

5. What are the equations that describe electromagnetism?

The fundamental equations that describe electromagnetism are Maxwell's equations, which consist of four equations: Gauss's law for electric fields, Gauss's law for magnetic fields, Faraday's law of induction, and Ampere's law with Maxwell's correction. These equations explain how electric and magnetic fields are related and how they change over time.