Why Does Water Circle a Sink Hole?

In summary, The reason why water in a sink takes a circular route before passing through the hole is due to the initial rotation given to it when the plug is pulled out. This is similar to how a bottle with water can be emptied smoothly by creating a vortex through rotation. In a mechanical setup, the plug's rotation or initial conditions can affect the direction of the vortex. The design of the sink, as well as the motion of the plug, can also contribute to the rotational flow of the water. However, there is still some debate on whether the rotation of the water is solely caused by the initial motion or if other factors play a role.
surabhi
hi...

we see this phenomenon in our everyday lilfe...:redface:

in a sink, if we open its hole suddenly, the water gushes toward it in circular manner and not directly...

why the water has to first circle the hole and then it passes through the hole...why it never takes the shortest route to go through the hole...:confused:

pls clarify..:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi surabhi! welcome to pf! :wink:

it depends which way you pull the plug out …

it's almost impossible to pull it out vertically or radially (ie without any clockwise our anticlockwise motion) …

so when you pull the plug, you're actually stirring the water by doing so …

the water will continue to flow down the plughole the way you stirred it! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi surabhi! welcome to pf! :wink:

it depends which way you pull the plug out …

it's almost impossible to pull it out vertically or radially (ie without any clockwise our anticlockwise motion) …

so when you pull the plug, you're actually stirring the water by doing so …

the water will continue to flow down the plughole the way you stirred it! :smile:

So theoretically if I mechanically prevent the plug to rotate while pulled (press fit it to a guiding tube etc..) there won't be any vortex at the sink?

GT1 said:
So theoretically if I mechanically prevent the plug to rotate while pulled (press fit it to a guiding tube etc..) there won't be any vortex at the sink?

I've never heard of this "we create the vortex when pulling the plug" idea, not sure how true it is.

The vortex created is one of the most efficient ways for water to travel down the hole.

If you take a 2 litre bottle, fill it with water and turn it upside down, it will glug out as the air is sucked in. If you do the same thing but rotate the bottle gently, you will create the vortex which will allow the water to empty smoothly whilst allowing the air in.

jarednjames said:
I've never heard of this "we create the vortex when pulling the plug" idea, not sure how true it is.

If you do the same thing but rotate the bottle gently, you will create the vortex which will allow the water to empty smoothly whilst allowing the air in.

Exactly! You create the vortex by giving the water an initial rotation …

you decide whether it's clockwise or anti-clockwise! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Exactly! You create the vortex by giving the water an initial rotation …

you decide whether it's clockwise or anti-clockwise! :smile:

With a bottle yes, because I'm spinning it.

But I just spent ten minutes pulling the plug and couldn't change the direction of rotation as you describe.

I can understand how it may affect things, but my bathroom sink has a mechanical plug (you operate a lever to open the plug - no contact with it - the plug doesn't rotate at all when pulled) and the water still rotates.

jarednjames said:
… my bathroom sink has a mechanical plug (you operate a lever to open the plug - no contact with it - the plug doesn't rotate at all when pulled) and the water still rotates.

since we're into experimental physics here …

does it rotate the same way every time? :smile:

(and does it make any difference whether you originally filled the sink from the left or the right tap/fawcet?)

tiny-tim said:
does it rotate the same way every time?

No, this one actually surprised me. Mostly always went anti-clockwise but twice it went clockwise.
(and does it make any difference whether you originally filled the sink from the left or the right tap/fawcet?)

Central mixer tap directly over the plug.

I can't believe I'm doing this, what a way to spend a Saturday.

jarednjames said:
No, this one actually surprised me. Mostly always went anti-clockwise but twice it went clockwise.

Central mixer tap directly over the plug.

Well, it certainly isn't trying to do straight down, and if it goes either way, then surely it must be the initial conditions? :wink:
I can't believe I'm doing this, what a way to spend a Saturday.

Could you possibly post a video of it? :biggrin:

And have you used a spirit-level to check that the sink is perfectly level?

tiny-tim said:
Well, it certainly isn't trying to do straight down, and if it goes either way, then surely it must be the initial conditions? :wink:

Well it's what I'm inclined to think, but then what would change those conditions in a mechanical setup? I suppose I'm over thinking it, looking at the sink/drain design instead of your own motion.
Could you possibly post a video of it? :biggrin:

Yes, I'll immortalise my exciting home life. :cry:
And have you used a spirit-level to check that the sink is perfectly level?

I installed it, how dare you insinuate my handy work is shoddy! :rolleyes:

jarednjames said:
Well it's what I'm inclined to think, but then what would change those conditions in a mechanical setup? I suppose I'm over thinking it, looking at the sink/drain design instead of your own motion.

hmm :rolleyes: … if the plug doesn't come up exactly straight (say if it leans slightly towards two o'clock), it will create a flow within the sink even before there's a hole …

since the sink isn't symmetric, that flow will be rotational :wink:
Yes, I'll immortalise my exciting home life. :cry:

just the bathroom, please

leave your public wanting more, and you'll be able to bring out a sequel! …

maybe about whether the light goes out when you close the fridge? :-p
I installed it, how dare you insinuate my handy work is shoddy! :rolleyes:

even in Vegas, they re-check the equipment every day :wink:

oooh … if you set up a webcam, you can take bets on which way it will go next time! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hmm :rolleyes: … if the plug doesn't come up exactly straight (say if it leans slightly towards two o'clock), it will create a flow within the sink even before there's a hole …

since the sink isn't symmetric, that flow will be rotational :wink:

That's what I'm thinking at the moment.
just the bathroom, please

leave your public wanting more, and you'll be able to bring out a sequel! …

:smile:
maybe about whether the light goes out when you close the fridge? :-p

Just to re-enforce how exciting things are...

In my first year of uni we 'tested' this whilst a bit drunk. We emptied the fridge in the uni halls and one of my flat mates climbed in (small Chinese dude).
even in Vegas, they re-check the equipment every day :wink:

oooh … if you set up a webcam, you can take bets on which way it will go next time! :smile:

I like your thinking. There be money to made! :biggrin:

jarednjames said:
Just to re-enforce how exciting things are...

In my first year of uni we 'tested' this whilst a bit drunk. We emptied the fridge in the uni halls and one of my flat mates climbed in (small Chinese dude).

Well, don't keep us on tenterhooks :cry:

tell us the results! :smile:

(unless there's an embargo until the paper is published :wink:)

I doubt that sinks and tubs can be made and oriented perfectly symmetric. There is bound to be either some sideways tilt, or groove-like angled imperfections, that cause the water to spin one way or another. In that case it will always go the same way for a particular sink or tub.

Related to Why Does Water Circle a Sink Hole?

1. Why does water circle a sink hole?

Water circles a sink hole because of the force of gravity. As water flows down towards the sink hole, it begins to rotate due to the Coriolis effect, which is the result of Earth's rotation.

2. Is there a specific direction that water circles in a sink hole?

Yes, in the northern hemisphere, water will rotate counterclockwise due to the Coriolis effect. In the southern hemisphere, it will rotate clockwise.

3. Do all sink holes have water circling in them?

No, not all sink holes have water circling in them. It depends on the size and depth of the sink hole as well as the flow of water into it.

4. Can the force of gravity affect the speed of water circling in a sink hole?

Yes, the force of gravity can affect the speed of water circling in a sink hole. The larger the sink hole and the steeper the slope, the faster the water will rotate.

5. Does the shape of the sink hole affect the direction of water circling?

Yes, the shape of the sink hole can affect the direction of water circling. If the sink hole is asymmetrical, it can create an imbalance in the water flow, causing it to rotate in a different direction than expected.