Why Does V Equal u Plus Delta v in Velocity Calculations?

• Thread starter Indranil
  • Start date
In summary, the equation v = u + delta v represents the final velocity (V) as the sum of the initial velocity (u) and the change in velocity (delta v). The change in velocity is defined as the difference between the final and initial velocities, and this equation holds true for any motion along a straight line, regardless of acceleration. For motion in 2 or 3 dimensions, the equation can be written using velocity vectors. The time (t) is not included in this equation, as it is not related to the change in velocity.
Indranil

Homework Statement

V = u + delta v
[Here V = final velocity, u = initial velocity and delta v = change in velocity (v-u/t-t)]
As I know, a = v-u/t so, v = u + at
So could you explain why v = u + delta v?

Homework Equations

V = u + delta v
[Here V = final velocity, u = initial velocity and delta v = change in velocity (v-u/t-t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Indranil said:

delta v (or Δv) is defined to be the change in velocity. Change in velocity, in turn, is defined to be the final velocity (V) minus the initial velocity (u). So, by definition,

Δv = V - u.

Rearrange this to arrive at what you want to show.

Note that this result does not depend on using any acceleration equations. In particular, the acceleration need not be constant. The expression for Δv is valid for any motion along a straight line. The expression is a direct consequence of the meaning of "change in velocity".

For motion in 2 or 3 dimensions of space, there is a similar expression except that you would be working with velocity vectors:

##\Delta \vec v = \vec V - \vec u##

This is often written

##\Delta \vec v = \vec v_f - \vec v_i## where ##\vec v_i## and ##\vec v_f## are the initial and final velocity vectors, respectively. On the right hand side, you would be doing vector subtraction. This equation can be rearranged to get

##\vec v_f =\vec v_i + \Delta \vec v##

Likes Indranil
Indranil said:

Homework Statement

V = u + delta v

Homework Equations

V = u + delta v

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it work better for you if we wrote ##\Delta v=at##?

Δv = ∫ dv = ∫ a dt

TSny said:
delta v (or Δv) is defined to be the change in velocity. Change in velocity, in turn, is defined to be the final velocity (V) minus the initial velocity (u). So, by definition,

Δv = V - u.

Note that this result does not depend on using any acceleration equations. In particular, the acceleration need not be constant. The expression for Δv is valid for any motion along a straight line. The expression is a direct consequence of the meaning of "change in velocity".

For motion in 2 or 3 dimensions of space, there is a similar expression except that you would be working with velocity vectors:

This is often written

##\Delta \vec v = \vec v_f - \vec v_i## where ##\vec v_i## and ##\vec v_f## are the initial and final velocity vectors, respectively. On the right hand side, you would be doing vector subtraction. This equation can be rearranged to get

You said above 'the acceleration need not be constant' so there is no any point using the acceleration, but what about the time (t)? as we know, delta v = vf-ui / t. Could you explain this part, please?

As has been said above, Δv = v - u, i.e. the change in velocity. That's what the symbol Δ means. It is NOT (v-u)/t, which is the average acceleration. If it was, you couldn't say v = u + Δv because the units of u and Δv wouldn't match.

TSny said:

Δv = V - u.

This is often written

I don't understand this part 'Note that this result does not depend on using any acceleration equations. In particular, the acceleration need not be constant.' Could you please get this point easier for me so that I could understand the concept better?

If my initial velocity (u) is 10mph and I change my velocity (delta velocity) by +20mph my final velocity (v) is 30mph.

u + delta v = v
10 + 20 = 30

It's that simple.

The equation says nothing about how quickly the velocity changes (aka acceleration).

There are other equations that do relate initial and final velocity and time to acceleration.

Likes Indranil

Related to Why Does V Equal u Plus Delta v in Velocity Calculations?

What is the meaning of the variables in the equation V = u + delt v?

The variable V represents the final velocity of an object, u represents the initial velocity, and delt v represents the change in velocity.

How is the equation V = u + delt v used in physics?

This equation is used in kinematics to calculate the final velocity of an object in motion, given its initial velocity and the change in velocity over a certain period of time.

What units are used for the variables in the equation V = u + delt v?

The units for velocity (V, u, and delt v) can vary depending on the system of measurement used. Some common units include meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and feet per second (ft/s).

Can the equation V = u + delt v be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration remains constant. It is often used for linear motion, but can also be applied to rotational or circular motion.

What is the difference between V = u + delt v and V = u + at?

The first equation, V = u + delt v, is used when the acceleration is constant over a certain period of time. The second equation, V = u + at, is used when the acceleration is changing over time. It takes into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time elapsed to calculate the final velocity.