Why does the wire not glow in the hottest part of the Bunsen burner flame?

In summary, the conversation is about a lab in a high school Chem 1 class where students performed simple experiments to determine physical or chemical changes. One of the experiments involved a Nickel Chromium Wire and an Aluminum handle being placed in a Bunsen burner. The wire glowed red/orange when placed near the top of the burner, but did not glow when placed in the hottest part of the flame. The teacher also tried the experiment with the same result. The conversation ends with the students wondering why the wire only glows in the red/orange part of the flame and if oxygen may be a factor.
Neek 007
In our high school Chem 1 Class, we had this lab where we went around doing simple

experiments and determining whether the change was a physical one or a chemical one. Well,

when one of the stations had be perplexed. At this station we had a Nickel Chromium

Wire with an Aluminum handle, and what we had to do was put the wire in the Bunsen burner.

When I put the wire part into the yellow/orange part near the top of the burner, the wire, like

expected, quickly glowed red/orange (Like burning embers). When I put it in the hottest part or

the burner at the blue triangle flame, the wire did not glow. I asked my teacher and he said the

wire should have glowed at any part of the flame, yet it did not. He tried the experiment and

got the same result. So, why does the wire glow in the red/orange part of the flame, but not

the hottest part?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any ideas of what is going on?

I think my teacher said something with Oxygen when he tried to give an answer.

Any ideas?

It should glow, no doubt about it. Hard to say what you have seen and interpreted as "no glow". I am not saying you didn't saw what you saw.

Related to Why does the wire not glow in the hottest part of the Bunsen burner flame?

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a substance that is made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together.

2. What is the periodic table and how is it organized?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all the known chemical elements. It is organized by increasing atomic number (number of protons) and by grouping elements with similar chemical properties in columns.

3. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions (H+) in a chemical reaction, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions or donates hydroxide ions (OH-) in a chemical reaction.

4. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This is done by adding coefficients (numbers in front of each compound) as needed.

5. What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy to the surroundings, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy from the surroundings. Exothermic reactions are often spontaneous, while endothermic reactions are usually non-spontaneous and require an external energy source to occur.