Why Does the Time/Energy Uncertainty Principle Suggest a Lower Bound in Δt?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the time/energy uncertainty principle and its implications for the hypothesis of a vacuum fluctuation as the origin of the universe. The argument against this hypothesis is based on the idea that energy fluctuations can only exist for a limited amount of time, and larger fluctuations have a shorter lifespan. However, the mathematical formula for the principle shows a greater than sign, suggesting a lower bound for the time and energy uncertainty. This raises questions about the upper bound of ΔEΔt and whether the hypothesis is ruled out by the principle.
professorscot
I don't know much about brackets and Hamiltonians, but there is a much simpler aspect of the time / energy uncertainty discussion that confuses me. It has to do with the sign of the uncertainty. [Disclaimer: Purists, please bear with me for a moment as I hash out my point heuristically.]

Here's the typical argument that I hear against the vacuum fluctuation hypothesis of the Big Bang: The energy of a system can be "unknown / inconstant / immeasurable / whatever" within a range of values ΔE, but ONLY FOR LESS TIME than Δt. Larger energy fluctuations are doomed to a shorter lifespan. So a fluctuation the size of the universe would have a Δt of about one googolth of a second. (Perhaps the only opportunity I'll ever have to use the fraction "one googolth"!)

But the damn formula has a GREATER THAN sign in it! On its face mathematically, the inequality shows us that Δt must be LONGER than h/ΔE. Why do discussions of the principle always invoke an upper bound, when the formula gives a lower bound? Is there indeed an upper bound on ΔEΔt? Or is this inequality understood to mean "greater than but approximately equal to?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Most importantly, what does this mean for the hypothesis of a vacuum fluctuation as the origin of the universe? Is it ruled out by the time/energy uncertainty principle?

Related to Why Does the Time/Energy Uncertainty Principle Suggest a Lower Bound in Δt?

1. What does the > sign mean in terms of uncertainty?

The > sign is used in statistics and probability to represent the concept of greater than. It indicates that a value or outcome is more likely to occur than another value or outcome.

2. How is uncertainty represented in scientific research?

Uncertainty is often represented by a range or interval of values, rather than a single point estimate. This range takes into account the potential variability and error in the data, and allows for a more accurate assessment of the true value.

3. How does uncertainty impact the reliability of scientific findings?

Uncertainty can impact the reliability of scientific findings by introducing potential bias or error. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and account for uncertainty in their research in order to ensure the validity and accuracy of their findings.

4. Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated in scientific research?

No, uncertainty can never be completely eliminated in scientific research. This is due to the inherent variability and complexity of natural systems, as well as limitations in measurement and data collection techniques.

5. How do scientists account for uncertainty in their data analysis?

Scientists use a variety of statistical methods and techniques to account for uncertainty in their data analysis. This may include calculating confidence intervals, conducting sensitivity analyses, and applying error bars to visual representations of data.