Why does the Sun seem so bright?

In summary, the perceived brightness of the sun is based on the number of photons that enter the eye. This is why the sun appears much brighter than other sources, even though it may emit fewer photons than some stars. Additionally, the eye is particularly responsive to the specific colors emitted by the sun, which contributes to its perceived brightness. Lasers, on the other hand, are able to deliver a high amount of power to the retina due to their focused and coherent nature, making them potentially dangerous to eyesight.
thetexan
TL;DR Summary
Brightness of the sun
I would like to know why the sun seems so bright.

I know why the sun is a great source of light but that’s not what I’m asking. Why do my eyes perceive the brightness. Is it based on the number of photons that enter my eyeball? The more photons the brighter I perceive the light to be? Therefore a source that produces a lot of photons will provide that large number?

So, I’d guess the question is, is the difference between looking at the sun and looking at a flashlight and the corresponding difference in perceived brightness simply because of numbers or is something else involved?

Tex

Physics news on Phys.org
thetexan said:
Summary:: Brightness of the sun

The more photons the brighter I perceive the light to be? Therefore a source that produces a lot of photons will provide that large number?
Yes.

Likes russ_watters and Bystander
Pretty much it is just the number of photons. Of course thanks to evolution your eye is particularly responsive to just the mix of colors put out by the sun (which is a blackbody spectrum for 6000 degrees Kelvin)

Likes Klystron
Your body also perceives a full bucket of water as “heavier“ when it contains more water molecules than a full cup. It’s the same idea.

thetexan said:
So, I’d guess the question is, is the difference between looking at the sun and looking at a flashlight and the corresponding difference in perceived brightness simply because of numbers or is something else involved?
Perceived brightness is essentially a measure of the power per unit area your retina receives (it's not quite that simple because wavelength matters and your eye's response is non-linear, but power is the heart of it). Thus the Sun is very bright because even the tiny fraction of its power that reaches your eye is still a lot of power. The lamp in a lighthouse is very bright because it uses a lot of electrical power to produce a lot of light power, but easily tolerable at distance because the beam spreads and only a small fraction enters your eye.

Lasers don't spread very much, and their coherent nature means that they focus down to a smaller spot on your retina than other light sources. Those two characteristics make them really good at delivering power to your retina at distance, which is why even quite low powered lasers can be quite dangerous to your eyesight.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and sysprog
thetexan said:
Therefore a source that produces a lot of photons will provide that large number?
As @Ibix indicated, perceived brightness depends on how much light enters the eye ##-## it doesn't depend only on how many photons the perceived object emits ##-## Sirius is the brightest-to-us star in the night sky ##-## inherently much brighter than the Sun (about 25.4 times the luminosity) ##-## it emits a far great number of photons than the Sun does, but Sirus is so much further away (about 1.7 light-years away), the Sun is so much closer, that in our perception the Sun is so much brighter as to make the difference between night and day.

1649075019596.png

1. Why does the Sun seem so bright compared to other stars?

The Sun appears much brighter than other stars because it is much closer to Earth. While other stars may be larger and brighter than the Sun, their distance from Earth makes them appear dimmer.

2. Why does the brightness of the Sun vary throughout the day?

The brightness of the Sun changes throughout the day due to the Earth's rotation. As the Earth rotates, different areas of the planet are exposed to direct sunlight, causing changes in the perceived brightness of the Sun.

3. Why does the Sun seem brighter on a clear day?

On a clear day, the Sun appears brighter because there are fewer particles in the atmosphere to scatter and absorb its light. This results in more direct sunlight reaching our eyes, making the Sun appear brighter.

4. Why does the Sun seem brighter when viewed from high altitudes?

When viewed from high altitudes, the Sun appears brighter because there is less atmosphere to block or scatter its light. This is why the Sun often appears brighter when viewed from an airplane or mountain top.

5. Why does the Sun seem brighter near sunrise and sunset?

During sunrise and sunset, the Sun appears brighter because its light is passing through more of the Earth's atmosphere. This causes the light to scatter more, making the Sun appear larger and brighter than it actually is.