Why Does the Solution Use (T2 - T1) * R for Net Torque?

In summary, the discussion is about the solution to a homework problem involving torque and angular acceleration. The confusion is about the order of the net torque and the direction of rotation. It is explained that the positive direction for rotation is taken to correspond to the block moving down the incline in the positive direction, leading to the chosen order of T2 - T1 in the solution.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

upload_2016-2-20_14-58-45.png[/PLAIN]

https://web.njit.edu/~gary/111/assets/HW10_SOL.pdf

The problem is on page 3 of the document along with relevant solutions.

Homework Equations

F=ma, and Sigma Torques = (moment of inertia) * angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have been killing this problem for three hours now.

I was wondering why do they have in the solutions the net torque being (T2 - T1) * R.

Torque going in the counter clockwise direction should be positive and vice versa, so this seems wrong to me.
T2 is going in the clockwise direction of the pulley, so it should be negative, in my opinion.

Could anyone please weigh in why they have the order being T2 - T1, and not T1 - T2 [which is what I did]?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are just taking the positive direction of motion of the system to correspond to the block on the incline moving down the incline. When the the block on the incline is moving in the positive direction, the pulley rotates clockwise. So, in this problem, they are taking clockwise as the positive direction for rotation so that ##\alpha## will be positive when ##a## is positive.

Thanks! That does make sense!

Related to Why Does the Solution Use (T2 - T1) * R for Net Torque?

1. What is torque theory?

Torque theory is a scientific concept that explains the relationship between force, rotation, and distance. It states that the amount of torque, or rotational force, applied to an object is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation.

2. How is torque theory used in real life?

Torque theory is used in many practical applications, such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It helps us understand how machines work, how to design efficient tools and equipment, and how to calculate the forces and movements involved in various tasks.

3. What factors affect torque?

The amount of torque produced depends on the force applied to the object, the distance from the point of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, the shape and size of the object and the friction between its surfaces can also affect torque.

4. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the force applied is in the opposite direction of the rotation or when the angle at which the force is applied is greater than 90 degrees. Negative torque can cause an object to slow down or rotate in the opposite direction.

5. How is torque different from force?

Force is a push or pull on an object, while torque is a rotational force. Force is measured in Newtons (N), while torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm). While force affects the movement of an object in a straight line, torque affects the rotation of an object around a fixed point.