Why Does the Solution Use FH(6) Instead of FH(10) for Gate Force Calculation?

In summary, The gate is 3m wide and hinged at point A, with a smooth wall at B. The calculation involves finding the force on the gate due to seawater pressure and the horizontal force exerted by the wall at B. The sample answer attached used FH(6) instead of FH(10), and the author may have made a mistake as FH(10) seems to be the correct distance from A to B. The direction of FH is horizontal and it is necessary to find its moment about A.
foo9008

Homework Statement

the gate is 3m wide , is hinged at point A , and rests against a smooth wall at B . Calculate the force on the gate due to seawater pressure and horizontal force exerted by wall at B . I have attached the sample answer below . I don't understand why the author use FH(6 ) instead of FH(10)
HmiBciz.png

1CaoYN8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMO , it should be FH(10) , am i right ? 10 is the distance from A to B

Attachments

• 167.PNG
    167.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
In what direction does FH act?

haruspex said:
In what direction does FH act?
Horizontal

foo9008 said:
Horizontal
Right, so how do you find its moment about A?

Likes foo9008
Ok, I forgot it's horizontal force

Related to Why Does the Solution Use FH(6) Instead of FH(10) for Gate Force Calculation?

1. How much force is needed to open a gate?

The amount of force needed to open a gate depends on several factors, such as the weight and size of the gate, the type of hinges and latch used, and the friction between the gate and the ground. In general, a gate can be opened with a moderate amount of force, typically between 5-20 pounds.

2. What is the best way to apply force to open a gate?

The best way to apply force to open a gate is by pushing or pulling on the gate handle or latch. If the gate is particularly heavy or difficult to open, using a lever or an assistive tool like a gate opener can make the task easier.

3. Can too much force damage a gate?

Yes, applying excessive force to a gate can cause damage to the hinges, latch, or other components. It is important to use only the necessary amount of force to open a gate to avoid causing any damage.

4. How can I make it easier to open a gate?

There are several ways to make it easier to open a gate, such as lubricating the hinges and latch, adjusting the gate to reduce friction, installing a gate opener, or choosing a gate design that is more lightweight and easier to open.

5. Why is it important to open a gate with the proper amount of force?

Opening a gate with the proper amount of force not only prevents damage to the gate itself, but it also ensures the safety of those opening and closing the gate. Using excessive force can cause accidents or injuries, while using too little force may result in the gate not properly closing and potentially causing a security or safety risk.