Why does the resistance of a semiconductor decrease with increasing temperature?

In summary: I think I will try to do some more research on this.In summary, the increase in temperature leads to a more rapid decrease in resistance in semiconductors.
songoku

Homework Statement

The resistance of a semiconductor decreases rapidly with increasing temperature. The main factor contributing to this effect is the rapid increase, with increasing temperature, of

a. the speed of the random motion of the free charge carriers
b. the concentration of the free charge carriers
c. the drift velocituy of the free charge carriers
d. the frequency of vibration of the atoms of the semiconductor
e. the amplitude of vibration of the atoms of the semiconductor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read a little about semiconductor on wiki. I think the answer is (c). Am I right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your reasoning?

Hi Mapes

Ups sorry, I mean the answer is (b). This is part of the article I read :

"In extrinsic (doped) semiconductors, dopant atoms increase the majority charge carrier concentration by donating electrons to the conduction band or accepting holes in the valence band. For both types of donor or acceptor atoms, increasing the dopant density leads to a reduction in the resistance."

So based on that, I think the answer is (b). But I don't know the reason why...:frown:

Thanks

OK, I agree with this answer, but I'd keep looking for the reason why! Why would temperature change the charge carrier concentration?

songoku said:
Hi Mapes

Ups sorry, I mean the answer is (b). This is part of the article I read :

"In extrinsic (doped) semiconductors, dopant atoms increase the majority charge carrier concentration by donating electrons to the conduction band or accepting holes in the valence band. For both types of donor or acceptor atoms, increasing the dopant density leads to a reduction in the resistance."

So based on that, I think the answer is (b). But I don't know the reason why...:frown:

Thanks

I think the increase is much greater with intrinsic(pure) semiconductors so I would advise you to do a little research on these.The answer comes most easily from the equation linking current with charge density, electron charge,drift velocity and conductor cross sectional area.Try a little search and come back if you can't find the equation.

Hi Dadface and Mapes

Sorry for taking long time to reply. Maybe this is the equation :
I=nAvq , where : n=number per volume of electrons

This is the best I can think of. The increase in temperature means that the carriers gain more energy. With this energy, some of the carriers can pass the "forbidden band" in semiconductor thus change the carriers concentration.
Another thing that pop-up in my mind is when there is flow of the carriers, the current increases. Based on the equation, there must be change in one or more variables on the right side. Maybe n will increase, but what about the drift velocity?

Thanks

Related to Why does the resistance of a semiconductor decrease with increasing temperature?

1. What is the resistance of a semiconductor?

The resistance of a semiconductor refers to the measure of its opposition to the flow of electric current. It is influenced by factors such as temperature, doping levels, and impurities present in the semiconductor material.

2. How is the resistance of a semiconductor measured?

The resistance of a semiconductor is typically measured using a multimeter, which applies a small voltage across the material and measures the resulting current. The resistance can also be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.

3. Why is the resistance of a semiconductor important?

The resistance of a semiconductor is important because it determines the efficiency and performance of electronic devices made from these materials. A lower resistance allows for better flow of current and faster operation, while a higher resistance can result in heat buildup and decreased performance.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a semiconductor?

Temperature has a significant impact on the resistance of a semiconductor. Generally, as temperature increases, the resistance of a semiconductor decreases. This is because higher temperatures cause the atoms in the material to vibrate more, making it easier for electrons to move through the material.

5. How can the resistance of a semiconductor be controlled?

The resistance of a semiconductor can be controlled in several ways. One method is through doping, where impurities are intentionally added to the material to alter its electrical properties. Another method is by adjusting the temperature, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, the thickness and composition of the semiconductor material can also impact its resistance.