Why Does the Proton-Electron Mass Ratio Diverge from Direct Division?

In summary: The only issue is the uncertainty, which I'm not sure how to estimate accurately. In summary, The CODATA table of physical constants provides precise numbers for the mass of electron, mass of proton, and the proton electron mass ratio. However, when dividing the mass of proton by the mass of electron, the resulting number does not match the proton electron mass ratio, starting at the 8th significant figure. This discrepancy can have a significant impact on calculated results, and it is recommended to use the standard formula for reduced electron mass. However, the uncertainty of this formula is difficult to estimate without further information on correlations between parameters. To obtain a more accurate value, it is suggested to contact CODATA or check corresponding publications for the reduced mass of the
In the CODATA table of physical constants, there are very precise numbers given for mass of electron and mass of proton. And an even more precise number for proton electron mass ratio. But when you divide the mass of proton by the mass of electron, you don't get the same number as the proton electron mass ratio The numbers start diverging at about the 8th significant figure.

I'm asking because I need a very precise value of reduced electron mass. So I'm not sure whether to use the standard formula:

me * mp / (me + mp)

or one with the proton electron mass ratio:

mp / (1 + mp/me)

They should be the same but they're not and it makes quite a big difference in calculated results.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which units do you use for the calculation, and which units do you need for the result? The different parameters have different, often correlated sources of uncertainties. For nonlinear combinations (like ratios), this can lead to a best value that is not the ratio of the individual best values. Unless you get information about those correlations, you'll have to be conservative with the uncertainty estimate.

I would check "me / (me/mp + 1)", but this is just a guess.

You can also ask CODATA if they have the reduced mass somewhere, or check the corresponding publications - it could even be an input to the CODATA fit.

Last edited:
Likes neilparker62
It's an atomic transition energy calculation. So output unit would be energy. Convert to frequency via Planck's constant. Inputs: reduced mass of electron x c^2 x terms with fine structure constant.

Sounds like a good idea to contact CODATA for a value of the electron's reduced mass.

Thanks for the suggestion.

neilparker62 said:
Inputs: reduced mass of electron x c^2 x terms with fine structure constant.
This product is much better known than the individual components. 6*10-12 uncertainty - expressed as 1/m, but as the speed of light is fixed the frequency has the same relative uncertainty.

Electron mass in MeV and Planck constant in eV*s are nearly 100% correlated: Comparison

Are we saying that if QED effects in certain energy levels somehow cancel out, then the Rydberg formula with 1/n^2 - 1/(n+1)^2 is still valid? I see a lot of literature where scientists seem to be doing something like this in order to calculate ever more accurate values of the Rydberg constant. Correlation coefficient on Balmer series frequencies (H I outermost level of each primary quantum number) vs 1/n^2 - 1/(n+1)^2 is 1 at the level of accuracy my PC can manage. But the resultant gradient from the regression analysis does not yield the CODATA value of the Rydberg constant. It is miles out.

Have to correct myself. The gradient of the above regression yields the Rydberg constant Rh as:

10 967 776.9

The 'super accurate' value given by CODATA is

10 973 731.568 508(65)

but that is for R (infinity).

It's a pity they don't give Rh as well and then we could easily determine reduced mass. I'll ask them for it!

mfb said:
I would check "me / (me/mp + 1)", but this is just a guess.
Thanks, I'm using that formula and it seems to work fine.

Related to Why Does the Proton-Electron Mass Ratio Diverge from Direct Division?

1. What is the Proton Electron Mass Ratio?

The Proton Electron Mass Ratio is a physical constant that represents the ratio of the mass of a proton to the mass of an electron. It is denoted by the symbol mp/me and has a numerical value of approximately 1836.15267343.

2. How is the Proton Electron Mass Ratio measured?

The Proton Electron Mass Ratio is measured using a variety of techniques, including mass spectrometry, nuclear magnetic resonance, and electron diffraction. These methods involve comparing the mass of a proton to the mass of an electron and calculating the ratio between them.

3. What is the significance of the Proton Electron Mass Ratio?

The Proton Electron Mass Ratio is an important constant in physics as it helps us understand the fundamental properties of matter and the interactions between particles. It is also used in various equations and calculations in fields such as quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

4. Has the value of the Proton Electron Mass Ratio changed over time?

No, the value of the Proton Electron Mass Ratio is considered a constant and has not changed over time. It is a fundamental property of matter and is not affected by external factors.

5. How does the Proton Electron Mass Ratio relate to other fundamental constants?

The Proton Electron Mass Ratio is related to other fundamental constants, such as the fine structure constant and the Rydberg constant. It is also used in the calculation of other important quantities, such as the mass of the neutron and the Compton wavelength of the electron.