Why does the Persulfate-Sulfate Couple not reach a potential of 2V in the lab?

In summary, the reaction doesn't have a potential of ~2V from the H+/H2 reference because equilibrium is not reached.
1question
Hi. I have a lab that concerns this reaction as follows:

S2O8 2- + 2e- = 2SO4 2-

Can anyone give me a hint as to why this reaction would NOT (and indeed does not as found in the lab) have a potential of ~ 2V from the H+/H2 reference? What is preventing the reaction from reaching its maximum?

Attempts:

1) I've tried looking at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/electpot.html and figuring something out but nothing seems to work. No extra information is given.
2) Is equilibrium reached?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
2.1 V is a normal potential, what did you put in the solution and in what concentrations?

Hi Borek. The ions above are added via 0.1M K2S2O8 and 0.1M K2SO4. Thanks.

And what is the measured potential?

1.7V relative to Cu/CuSO4.

And what is the standard potential for the Cu/Cu2+ system?

It has a standard potential of +0.34V.

So what is the potential against hydrogen electrode?

It is 2.1V

So where is the problem you've mentioned in the very first post?

My question was "Can anyone give me a hint as to why this reaction would NOT (and indeed does not as found in the lab) have a potential of ~ 2V from the H+/H2 reference? What is preventing the reaction from reaching its maximum?" Perhaps I wrote it in a "too-wordy" style. I simply meant that I need help understanding why this reaction does NOT have a potential of ~ 2V from the H+/H2 reference (as measured, it actually has a potential of 0.5V).

Data you have listed so far suggest something else, I don't understand what you are talking about.

What was the procedure you followed? What have you really measured?

If you have measured the potential to be around 1.7 V against Cu/Cu2+, it is equivalent of measuring it as around 2 V against hydrogen electrode. Now you are telling us it had 0.5 V against hydrogen electrode. For me that means that either the signal hydrogen electrode is broken, or you are not telling us everything.

Whoops, think I messed it up. Let me try again:
Given: rxn has a potential of ~2V relative to standard H+/H2, Cu/CuSO4 reference electrode has a potential of about
+0.34 V relative to standard H+/H2, so persulfate-sulfate solution should have a potential of around 1.7 V relative to the Cu/CuSO4 reference.
Measured: ~0.5V relative to Cu/CuSO4 reference.

OK, so you measured around 0.8 V against hydrogen electrode.

Honestly - no idea. Can't think of any reasonable chemical explanation, looks like some fubar case ;)

Fair enough, I'll ask my Prof. Thanks anyway.

Related to Why does the Persulfate-Sulfate Couple not reach a potential of 2V in the lab?

1. What is the Persulfate-Sulfate Couple?

The Persulfate-Sulfate Couple is a chemical system composed of two related molecules: persulfate (S2O82-) and sulfate (SO42-). These molecules are commonly used in various industrial and laboratory processes, including water treatment, bleaching, and polymerization reactions.

2. How do persulfate and sulfate interact with each other?

Persulfate and sulfate are considered a "couple" because they can undergo a redox reaction, in which one molecule is oxidized while the other is reduced. In this case, persulfate is reduced to sulfate, while sulfate is oxidized to persulfate.

3. What are the applications of the Persulfate-Sulfate Couple?

The Persulfate-Sulfate Couple has a wide range of applications. One of its most common uses is as an oxidizing agent in water treatment and bleaching processes. It is also used in polymerization reactions, where it helps initiate the formation of polymers. Additionally, it is used in analytical chemistry to determine the concentration of certain compounds.

4. Are there any safety concerns when working with the Persulfate-Sulfate Couple?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with persulfate and sulfate. Persulfate is a strong oxidizing agent and can be corrosive to skin and eyes. It is important to handle it with caution and wear appropriate protective gear. Sulfate, on the other hand, is not considered harmful to human health.

5. What are the environmental impacts of the Persulfate-Sulfate Couple?

The Persulfate-Sulfate Couple can have both positive and negative environmental impacts. On one hand, it is commonly used in water treatment to remove pollutants and improve water quality. On the other hand, the production and use of persulfate can contribute to air and water pollution if not properly managed. Therefore, it is important to use this chemical system responsibly and follow proper disposal protocols.