Why does the multi variable chain rule need to be proven?

In summary: Differentials aren't "limiting cases" of changes in a variable. Differential geometry gives a more formal meaning to differentials and differential forms, but for now it should suffice for you to know that what you have said is mostly nonsensical.
Gauss M.D.
It seems to me to follow from the definition of a partial derivative.

If f(x,y) = fx + fy, then what else can Δf be other than ∂f/∂x*Δx + ∂f/∂y*Δy? Then in the limiting case, the changes in f, x and y becomes differentials instead. All this seems to be given by the definitions themselves, is it not?

So we have

df = ∂f/∂x*dx + ∂f/∂y*dy

All that's left is dividing by the parameter differential dt and we have our chain rule. I seem to recall there being entire lectures devoted to 'proving' this however. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've written is intuitive hand-waving of no rigour.
Just because something strikes you as "obvious", doesn't mean that it is proven.

I'm not hand waving, I'm referring to the definition of a partial derivative. Definitions doesn't need proving, right?

By "If f(x,y) = fx + fy, then what else can Δf be other than ∂f/∂x*Δx + ∂f/∂y*Δy?", I'm saying that it follows from the definition that a change in f to be however much we change x by times the rate of change of f with respect to x, plus the change in y times the rate of change of f with respect to y. That's just vectorial addition.

Gauss M.D. said:
By "If f(x,y) = fx + fy, .
I don't understand this claim. Are you saying f can be written as the sum of a function depending only on x and a function depending only on y?

No I was referring to a vector valued function with a î and a ĵ component, which I guess was a mistake. I don't think it's a necessary condition for my 'claim' though?

Maybe I'm phrasing it incorrectly. Can we pose this question instead:

If we define the partial of f wrt xi as the rate of change in f wrt xi, keeping everything but xi constant, in what other way can we define a change in f other than the sum of all ∂f/∂xi*Δxi? What part of this definition lacks rigour?

The part where you say "In what other way?". The answer is that I don't know what other ways we could do this, but if you want to be rigorous you have to prove that. If someone said "in what other way could we model the real numbers?" you'd probably be stumped, but it turns out there's a whole branch of mathematics devoted to studying alternative models of the real numbers

As one more concrete example, you seem to be assuming that if there is a small change in x, it does not have an appreciable effect on what a small change in y will do to my function (and vice versa), without even stating that it's a point of interest, much less proving it to be the case.

The generalized chain rule is not hard to prove, but there is a lot of bookkeeping.

Here is a proof of the simple chain rule: http://math.rice.edu/~cjd/chainrule.pdf

Here is a proof of the general chain rule for two variables: http://math.ucsd.edu/~ashenk/Section14_4.pdf

You can see that the bookkeeping increases ...

Office_Shredder said:
The part where you say "In what other way?". The answer is that I don't know what other ways we could do this, but if you want to be rigorous you have to prove that. If someone said "in what other way could we model the real numbers?" you'd probably be stumped, but it turns out there's a whole branch of mathematics devoted to studying alternative models of the real numbers

As one more concrete example, you seem to be assuming that if there is a small change in x, it does not have an appreciable effect on what a small change in y will do to my function (and vice versa), without even stating that it's a point of interest, much less proving it to be the case.

Good point with the second paragraph, I guess that isn't self evident at all. If you don't mind me asking, is there such functions, exhibiting the behaviour you're talking about or are you just making a point?

Gauss M.D. said:
It seems to me to follow from the definition of a partial derivative.

If f(x,y) = fx + fy, then what else can Δf be other than ∂f/∂x*Δx + ∂f/∂y*Δy? Then in the limiting case, the changes in f, x and y becomes differentials instead. All this seems to be given by the definitions themselves, is it not?

So we have

df = ∂f/∂x*dx + ∂f/∂y*dy

All that's left is dividing by the parameter differential dt and we have our chain rule. I seem to recall there being entire lectures devoted to 'proving' this however. What am I missing?
Differentials aren't "limiting cases" of changes in a variable. Differential geometry gives a more formal meaning to differentials and differential forms, but for now it should suffice for you to know that what you have said is mostly nonsensical.

The multivariate chain rule needs to be proved because it is important to the understanding of multivariate calculus.

Last edited:
Gauss M.D. said:
Good point with the second paragraph, I guess that isn't self evident at all. If you don't mind me asking, is there such functions, exhibiting the behaviour you're talking about or are you just making a point?

Consider the function

f(x,y) = xsin(1/y) for y not equal to zero
f(x,0) = 0 for all x.

Then let's look at f(0,0). If I jiggle just x a little bit, my function is identically zero, so the partial derivative in the x direction is zero. If I jiggle just y a little bit, my function is identically zero, so the partial derivative in the y direction is zero. However, if I jiggle x a little bit, then the function

g(y) = xsin(1/y) for y not zero, and g(0) = 0

is not even a continuous function, so a little change in y is going to cause a change of magnitude up to size x, regardless of how small my change in y is.

Mandelbroth said:
Differentials aren't "limiting cases" of changes in a variable. Differential geometry gives a more formal meaning to differentials and differential forms, but for now it should suffice for you to know that what you have said is mostly nonsensical.

The multivariate chain rule needs to be proved because it is important to the understanding of multivariate calculus.

Excellent attitude, I'll just creep back into my dumb person hole then. Apologies for the curiosity.

(Most of you should also note that the question wasn't "why does anything that makes intuitive sense geometrically need proving ever", which I suppose is a tiresome question, but "why doesn't this follow from the definition".)

Gauss M.D. said:
Excellent attitude, I'll just creep back into my dumb person hole then. Apologies for the curiosity.
Thank you. I take my attitude to be very fun. :-p

The point of this is to say that what you have written is wrong, not that you are stupid. Don't be oversensitive to what we say in that regard. You're still learning (and so am I!) so it's okay to make mistakes. I make plenty of mistakes (you can see plenty of them here and here).

Given, my dumb person hole has 10 2-liter bottles of Dr. Pepper (my Muddah loves me), so I think I'll go back there. :biggrin:

The problem is that what you're stating is not a definition. It is, as many have pointed out, just hand-waving "physics" logic, especially the sinful act of dividing by differentials.

I depends on specifics. If the single variable chain rule is carefully formulated (ie not as in most calculus books) the multiple variable chain rule is obvious as the same proof can be used with vector variables in place of real numbers. Certain definitions of partial derivatives can help as well, but I think using cute definitions obscures the idea.

Related to Why does the multi variable chain rule need to be proven?

1. Why is the multi variable chain rule important in mathematics?

The multi variable chain rule is an essential concept in mathematics because it allows us to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables. This is crucial in solving real-world problems that involve multiple changing quantities, such as in physics and economics.

2. Can't we just use the single variable chain rule for functions with multiple variables?

No, the single variable chain rule only applies to functions with one independent variable. The multi variable chain rule is specifically designed to handle functions with multiple independent variables, making it a more general and powerful tool.

3. Why does the multi variable chain rule need to be proven?

The multi variable chain rule is a fundamental concept in calculus, and it is important to understand its proof to fully grasp the underlying principles and to be able to apply it correctly. Proving the chain rule also helps us to understand its limitations and when it can be applied.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the multi variable chain rule?

Yes, the multi variable chain rule is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it is used to calculate the rate of change of a system with multiple changing variables, such as the forces acting on an object in motion.

5. Is the multi variable chain rule difficult to understand?

The multi variable chain rule can be challenging to grasp at first, but with practice and a solid understanding of single variable calculus, one can understand its principles and apply it successfully. It is essential to understand the basic concepts of functions and derivatives before attempting to learn the multi variable chain rule.