Why Does the Laminar Flow Equation Use Different Coefficients?

In summary: Yes. I suspect that you will not usually find both Rh and Dh used in the same text/problem. Authors will tend to adhere to one or the other. I could be wrong, though.In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions and values of hydraulic diameter and hydraulic radius in relation to the equation for pressure in a circular pipe. The hydraulic diameter is defined as 4A/P, where A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe and P is the wetted perimeter. However, some authors use a different definition of hydraulic radius, which is A/P, leading to confusion and inconsistencies in calculations. It is important to clarify which definition is being used in order to correctly apply the equation.
hotjohn

Homework Statement

as we all know , D=4R , D=hydraulic diameter , in the equation of P= (8μLV_avg) / (R^2) , i would get (128μLV_avg)/ (D^2) , am i right ? why the author gave (32μLV_avg)/ (D^2) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0402.JPG
    DSC_0402.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
hotjohn said:

Homework Statement

as we all know , D=4R , D=hydraulic diameter , in the equation of P= (8μLV_avg) / (R^2) , i would get (128μLV_avg)/ (D^2) , am i right ? why the author gave (32μLV_avg)/ (D^2) ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It depends on the shape of the duct or tube you are using.

The hydraulic diameter is defined as DH = 4A/P, where A is the cross sectional area of the duct or pipe and P is the wetted perimeter..

For a circular pipe, DH = D (internal) of the pipe, or ##D_H = \frac{4 ⋅ π ⋅ \frac{D^2}{4}}{π ⋅ D} = D##

This article shows the hydraulic diameters for ducts of different shapes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_diameter

SteamKing said:
It depends on the shape of the duct or tube you are using.

The hydraulic diameter is defined as DH = 4A/P, where A is the cross sectional area of the duct or pipe and P is the wetted perimeter..

For a circular pipe, DH = D (internal) of the pipe, or ##D_H = \frac{4 ⋅ π ⋅ \frac{D^2}{4}}{π ⋅ D} = D##

This article shows the hydraulic diameters for ducts of different shapes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_diameter
yes , i know that . the object given is a long circular tube , so it is D=4R , right ? the notes is wrong ?

hotjohn said:
so it is D=4R , right ? the notes is wrong ?
No, it's 2R as usual.

haruspex said:
No, it's 2R as usual.
why the note gave 4R ?

Attachments

• 9637.PNG
    9637.PNG
    30.7 KB · Views: 455
hotjohn said:
why the note gave 4R ?
They used the wrong formula for calculating hydraulic diameter to start with

##D_H = \frac{4A}{P}##

The rest is shoddy proof-reading and failing to catch the error.

Likes hotjohn
SteamKing said:
They used the wrong formula for calculating hydraulic diameter to start with

##D_H = \frac{4A}{P}##

The rest is shoddy proof-reading and failing to catch the error.
Some authors define the hydraulic diameter as A/P. However, I have never liked this, and I always used 4A/P. But, if you are reading a text, you need to make sure which definition they are using.

Likes hotjohn
hotjohn said:
why the note gave 4R ?
I believe you are confusing radius with hydraulic radius.
The link from your original post mentioned R and D, with the implied relationship D=2R.
Your link in post #5 does not mention R, but Rh. This is the hydraulic radius, which is meaningful in any cross section, and does not equate to the actual radius in the case of a cylindrical pipe. Indeed, the way it is defined at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_formula would make it R/2.

Edit: to clarify, Rh=R/2 for a filled cylindrical pipe, and for a half-filled horizontal pipe.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I believe you are confusing radius with hydraulic radius.
The link from your original post mentioned R and D, with the implied relationship D=2R.
Your link in post #5 does not mention R, but Rh. This is the hydraulic radius, which is meaningful in any cross section, and does not equate to the actual radius in the case of a cylindrical pipe. Indeed, the way it is defined at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_formula would make it R/2.
Oops. In my last post, I meant to say hydraulic radius, not hydraulic diameter. Thanks for catching this.

Chestermiller said:
Oops. In my last post, I meant to say hydraulic radius, not hydraulic diameter. Thanks for catching this.
so , D=4Rh or D=2Rh ?

hotjohn said:
so , D=4Rh or D=2Rh ?
D is the pipe diameter and is therefore twice the radius, D=2R.
Rh is defined as the cross-sectional area of flow, A, divided by the wetted perimeter, P. For a filled cylindrical pipe radius R, A=πR2, P=2πR, so Rh=R/2=D/4.
A half-filled horizontal cylindrical pipe has half the wetted perimeter and half the flow cross-section, so the same Rh.
In between the two, Rh reaches a maximum somewhere.

Likes hotjohn
haruspex said:
D is the pipe diameter and is therefore twice the radius, D=2R.
Rh is defined as the cross-sectional area of flow, A, divided by the wetted perimeter, P. For a filled cylindrical pipe radius R, A=πR2, P=2πR, so Rh=R/2=D/4.
A half-filled horizontal cylindrical pipe has half the wetted perimeter and half the flow cross-section, so the same Rh.
In between the two, Rh reaches a maximum somewhere.
i have an example from my books ,

it stated that Dh= 4A / P , why not Dh= 2A / P ? since 2 radius = diameter ?

hotjohn said:
i have an example from my books ,

it stated that Dh= 4A / P , why not Dh= 2A / P ? since 2 radius = diameter ?
I don't know why hydraulic diameter and hydraulic radius are defined in such ways that the ratio is 4:1 instead of 2:1. My guess is that it is an accident of history and the two definitions (in terms of A and P) were made independently.

haruspex said:
I don't know why hydraulic diameter and hydraulic radius are defined in such ways that the ratio is 4:1 instead of 2:1. My guess is that it is an accident of history and the two definitions (in terms of A and P) were made independently.
so , just follow D_h = 4A/ P ? R_h = A/ P ?

hotjohn said:
so , just follow D_h = 4A/ P ? R_h = A/ P ?
Yes. I suspect that you will not usually find both Rh and Dh used in the same text/problem. Authors will tend to adhere to one or the other. I could be wrong, though.

Related to Why Does the Laminar Flow Equation Use Different Coefficients?

1. What is laminar flow?

Laminar flow is a type of fluid flow where the fluid particles move in parallel layers with no disruption or mixing between them. This results in smooth and predictable flow patterns.

2. What causes pressure drop in laminar flow?

The pressure drop in laminar flow is caused by the resistance of the fluid to flow through a pipe or channel. This resistance is due to the friction between the fluid and the walls of the pipe, as well as the viscosity of the fluid.

3. How is pressure drop calculated in laminar flow?

The pressure drop in laminar flow can be calculated using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the viscosity of the fluid, the length and diameter of the pipe, and the flow rate of the fluid. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using a pressure drop vs. flow rate curve specific to the pipe and fluid being used.

4. What factors affect pressure drop in laminar flow?

The factors that affect pressure drop in laminar flow include the viscosity of the fluid, the length and diameter of the pipe, the flow rate of the fluid, and the roughness of the pipe walls. Other factors such as temperature and fluid density can also have an impact.

5. How can pressure drop in laminar flow be minimized?

To minimize pressure drop in laminar flow, the flow rate can be reduced, the viscosity of the fluid can be decreased, or a smoother and larger diameter pipe can be used. Additionally, reducing the length of the pipe or using a more efficient pump can also help to minimize pressure drop.