Why does the finite square well problem require numerical solutions?

In summary, in the process of solving a problem with a finite square well in quantum mechanics, we first find the functions uI and uII using the equations uI = A sin(Kr) and uII = De^-kr. We then set the boundary conditions of uI and uII being equal at a and their derivatives being equal at a, resulting in an unsolvable equation. To solve this equation, we set Kr = z and use the graph cot(z) and sqrt[(zo/z)^2-1] to find the intersections, which provide information about the bound states of the system. This step is necessary because the equation cannot be solved analytically and must be solved numerically.
MGWorden

Homework Statement

Introduction to Quantum Mech Griffiths 4.9for the problem of a finite square well

v(r) =

{-Vo r<= a (i will call section I)

0 r>a (section II)

Homework Equations

After I find uI and uII

uI = A sin(K r)
uII = De^-kr

and then set the boundary condition

uI = uII at a equation 1
uI' = uII' at a equation 2

next i know I divide equation 2 by equation 1

The Attempt at a Solution

then i set Kr = z and

zo = sqrt(2mVo) a / h

and then i graph it with cot(z) and sqrt[(zo/z)^2-1] and look for the intersections.

But I don't know why I do this, or what the graph means.

It tells me something about the bound states but I don't know what or why.

My teacher said it is used to solve the problem numerically, but why does it need to be solved numerically?

So any information on what this step in the solving process is for would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
MGWorden said:

Homework Statement

Introduction to Quantum Mech Griffiths 4.9

for the problem of a finite square well

v(r) =

{-Vo r<= a (i will call section I)

0 r>a (section II)

Homework Equations

After I find uI and uII

uI = A sin(K r)
uII = De^-kr

and then set the boundary condition

uI = uII at a equation 1
uI' = uII' at a equation 2

next i know I divide equation 2 by equation 1
What's the equation you finally end up with? It would help us to see that and also any equations relating k and K to the energy of the state and the depth of the well.

The Attempt at a Solution

then i set Kr = z and

zo = sqrt(2mVo) a / h

and then i graph it with cot(z) and sqrt[(zo/z)^2-1] and look for the intersections.

But I don't know why I do this, or what the graph means.

It tells me something about the bound states but I don't know what or why.

My teacher said it is used to solve the problem numerically, but why does it need to be solved numerically?

So any information on what this step in the solving process is for would be great
When you match the solutions at the boundary, you should get an equation you can't solve analytically, so you have to do it numerically.

Related to Why does the finite square well problem require numerical solutions?

1. What is the fourth chapter of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths about?

The fourth chapter of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths is about the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, including the postulates and principles that govern the behavior of quantum systems.

2. What are some key concepts covered in chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths?

Some key concepts covered in chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths include the wave function, operators, eigenstates and eigenvalues, and the uncertainty principle.

3. How does chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths relate to the rest of the book's content?

Chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths serves as a foundation for the rest of the book's content, as it introduces the mathematical tools and principles necessary for understanding quantum mechanics.

4. What are some common challenges students face when studying chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths?

Some common challenges students face when studying chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths include understanding the abstract concepts and mathematical formalism, as well as applying these concepts to problem-solving.

5. How can I best prepare for understanding and mastering the content in chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths?

To best prepare for understanding and mastering the content in chapter four of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths, it is important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and calculus, practice problem-solving, and seek additional resources or help from a tutor or instructor if needed.