Why Does the Field Choice Affect Maschke's Theorem Application to Group C2?

• Thread starter catcherintherye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, Maschke's theorem states that in a finite group G and a field F where the order of G is not a zero divisor in F, the theorem holds. An example is given where C2 (cyclic group) and F2 (field with 2 elements) are not related, as the size of C2 is always 2 regardless of the field. It is clarified that Maschke's theorem requires the ability to multiply by the multiplicative inverse of |G| in F, and that the theorem holds in fields where 2 is invertible. The statement of Maschke's theorem in the conversation is considered to be using sloppy language.
catcherintherye
In the statement of Maschke's theroem we are told 'Let G be a finite group and F a field in which |G| not equal to zero. As an example we are told if our group was C2 (cyclic) then we could not have F=F2 (the field with 2 elements). I fail to see how C2 and F2 are related, surely |C2|=2 regardless of F. I do not see how changing the field changes the size of the group. What am I missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't alter the size of the group. Nothing says that choosing the field changes the size of the group - I don't see where you got that conclusion from.

|C_2| is certainly 2, and Maschke's result holds in any field where 2 is invertible (i.e. precisely not F_2 or any extension).

Maschke's theorem, or its proof, requires that one is able to multiply through by the multiplicative inverse of |G| in F.

All the versions of Maschke's theorem that I am familiar with say "over a field of characteristic k where k does not divide |G|" or the equivalent "Over a field in which |G| is not a zero divisor". If your text actually says "over a field in which |G| not equal to zero"- that is very sloppy language.

Related to Why Does the Field Choice Affect Maschke's Theorem Application to Group C2?

What is Maschke's theorem and how does it relate to group rings?

Maschke's theorem is a theorem in mathematics that states that every finite-dimensional representation of a finite group over a field of characteristic zero can be decomposed into a direct sum of irreducible representations. This theorem is closely related to the notion of group rings, which are algebraic structures that associate a group with a ring. Maschke's theorem guarantees that group rings can be decomposed into simpler components, making them useful in various areas of mathematics.

What is the significance of Maschke's theorem in group theory?

Maschke's theorem is a fundamental result in group theory, as it provides a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding the structure of finite groups. It allows for the decomposition of representations of groups into simpler components, which can then be studied individually. This has numerous applications in algebra, combinatorics, and other areas of mathematics.

Can Maschke's theorem be generalized to infinite groups?

No, Maschke's theorem only holds for finite groups. In the case of infinite groups, there are counterexamples where the theorem does not hold. This is because infinite groups can have infinitely many irreducible representations, making it impossible to decompose them into a direct sum.

How is Maschke's theorem used in physics?

In physics, Maschke's theorem is often used in the study of symmetry and symmetry breaking. In particular, it is used in the context of Lie groups, which are groups that are continuously differentiable. Maschke's theorem allows for the decomposition of representations of Lie groups, which is crucial in understanding the symmetry properties of physical systems.

Are there any generalizations or extensions of Maschke's theorem?

Yes, there are various generalizations and extensions of Maschke's theorem. One example is Schur's lemma, which states that if a group representation is irreducible and has a non-zero homomorphism to another representation, then the second representation must also be irreducible. Another extension is the Brauer-Nesbitt theorem, which describes the structure of group rings for non-commutative rings. These and other generalizations of Maschke's theorem have important applications in various areas of mathematics.