Why does the dot product use cosine?

• Thread starter cdotter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross Dot
In summary, the dot product and cross product are mathematical operations used in vector algebra. The dot product uses cosine and the cross product uses sine because of the way they are defined in three-dimensional Euclidean space. The cosine is used in the dot product because it is a special case of an inner product, and in other spaces, the cosine is used to define angles.
cdotter
What is significance of the trig functions in both the cross and the dot product? I understand what the dot and cross products are, how they work, and what they give...but I don't understand why the dot product uses cosine and the cross product uses sine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually never mind. I'm reading some proofs and my trig skills are rusty, so it doesn't make any sense. I know how to use cross/dot products and what they do, so that's close enough for me.

Let's assume you define the dot product as [itex]A\cdot B = A_xB_x+A_yB_y+A_zB_z[/itex]. You can easily show that rotations don't affect the dot product. If you have two vectors A and B and rotate the system so they are now A' and B', you'll get the same result for the dot product using either pair, i.e. [itex]A\cdot B=A'\cdot B'[/itex]. So you can always perform a rotation so that A points along the x-axis, so that A = |A|(1,0,0). The dot product will therefore equal [itex]A\cdot B = |A|B_{x}[/itex]. Now [itex]B_{x}[/itex] is just the projection of B onto the x-axis, which, using basic trig, is [itex]B_{x} = |B|\cos \theta[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle B makes with the x-axis, which is also the angle between A and B. So you get [itex]A\cdot B = |A||B|\cos\theta[/itex].

The dot product is a special case of what's called an inner product. The definition above is the inner product for plain old three-dimensional Euclidean space, but other spaces are characterized by having a different inner product. If you have two vectors A and B in such a space, you can use

[tex]\cos\theta=\frac{\langle A,B\rangle}{\sqrt{\langle A,A\rangle}\sqrt{\langle B,B\rangle}}[/tex]

where [itex]\langle A,B\rangle[/itex] is the inner product of A and B, to define angles in this space. In this case, the cosine is there by definition.

Related to Why does the dot product use cosine?

1. What is the difference between the cross product and dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing them. The result is a single number.

The cross product, on the other hand, is a vector operation that takes two vectors and produces a new vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by using the determinant of a matrix made up of the two vectors and their unit vectors.

2. When would you use the cross product versus the dot product?

The dot product is useful for finding the angle between two vectors, determining if two vectors are perpendicular, and projecting one vector onto another. The cross product is useful for finding a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors, determining the area of a parallelogram or triangle formed by two vectors, and finding the torque (rotational force) produced by two vectors.

3. Can the cross product and dot product be applied to vectors in any number of dimensions?

The cross product is only defined for vectors in three-dimensional space, while the dot product can be applied to vectors in any number of dimensions. This is because the cross product relies on the concept of a vector being perpendicular to two other vectors, which is only possible in three dimensions.

4. How do you calculate the cross product and dot product?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then summing them. For example, the dot product of two vectors a and b would be a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

The cross product is calculated by using the determinant of a matrix made up of the two vectors and their unit vectors. For example, the cross product of two vectors a and b would be i(a2b3 - a3b2) - j(a1b3 - a3b1) + k(a1b2 - a2b1).

5. How are the cross product and dot product used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, the cross product and dot product are used to solve problems related to force, motion, and rotation. For example, the dot product is used to calculate work and power, while the cross product is used to calculate torque and angular momentum. They are also commonly used in vector calculus to solve equations related to fields and gradients.