Why does the Block have an Acceleration Only Downwards

In summary: However, for the first second, the block will stay in contact with the wedge and the incline. In summary, a block of mass ##m## is placed on a movable wedge of mass ##m##, both on a fixed incline plane. Assuming smooth surfaces, the displacement of the block in the ground frame reference after 1 second can be calculated by considering the acceleration of the wedge and the block's limited motion in the y-direction due to gravity. While the block will eventually lose contact with the wedge and fall off, for the first second it will remain in contact with both the wedge and incline.
decentfellow

Homework Statement

Block ##A## of mass ##m## is placed over a movable wedge of mass ##m##. Both the block and the wedge are placed over a fixed incline plane. Assuming all the surfaced to be smooth, calculate the displacement of the block ##A## in the ground frame reference in ##1s##.
pictur for question0001.png

Homework Equations

$$\vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Before beginning, the question that I posed above is a solved example, and I am just confused about the motion of the block ##A##. So here goes.

The solution says that "Let acceleration of wedge in ground's frame is ##a## down the plane. The acceleration of block ##A## will be ##a\sin\theta## vertically downward"

Now, my problem is with the very first line of the solution, how can the block only have an acceleration down the plane, though in the solution, to justify the first line it is stated that "From FBD of A it is clear that Block A cannot accelerate horizontally, i.e. in ##x-##direction because there is no force acting on the block ##A## in ##x-##direction, hence block ##A## can accelerate in ##y-## direction only."
asdf.png

Though the explanation seems right in its place but before seeing the solution, my line of thought regarding the question was that as the block is constrained to move with the movable wedge hence it has an acceleration in the the direction along the plane. I don't know why but the explanation in the solution is just not sinking in.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
decentfellow said:
Though the explanation seems right in its place but before seeing the solution, my line of thought regarding the question was that as the block is constrained to move with the movable wedge hence it has an acceleration in the the direction along the plane.
I guess that the crux of the problem. Everything is assumed to be frictionless, so block A is not constrained to move with the wedge. As the wedge slides down the inclined plane, from the point of view of block A the "floor" is sliding from under it and moving down. Only the latter leads to any motion of block A.

One of the reasons to do a FBD is to isolate the forces on each component. If there is no friction between A and the wedge, then the only force on A is gravity, hence it must move vertically.

If there were friction between A and the wedge that would be a different matter.

DrClaude said:
Everything is assumed to be frictionless, so block A is not constrained to move with the wedge. As the wedge slides down the inclined plane, from the point of view of block A the "floor" is sliding from under it and moving down. Only the latter leads to any motion of block A.
After removing the constraint of them moving together, i.e. not considering the friction force which I was considering while visualizing the problem(unkowingly), and now that I have removed it I again have a doubt that doesn't it happen that as the wedge slides down the incline it so happens that the block looses contact with the movable wedge and moves along the incline, the only problem is that that the length of the platform on which the block stands is not given, so isn't the question incomplete.

decentfellow said:
After removing the constraint of them moving together, i.e. not considering the friction force which I was considering while visualizing the problem(unkowingly), and now that I have removed it I again have a doubt that doesn't it happen that as the wedge slides down the incline it so happens that the block looses contact with the movable wedge and moves along the incline, the only problem is that that the length of the platform on which the block stands is not given, so isn't the question incomplete.
If you moved the wedge fast enough, then the block would lose contact. But, the acceleration of the wedge is limited by gravity, so it can't out-accelerate the block.

PeroK said:
If you moved the wedge fast enough, then the block would lose contact. But, the acceleration of the wedge is limited by gravity, so it can't out-accelerate the block.
But in the (non-inertial)reference frame of the movable wedge there would be a pseudo force in the ##+ve x-## direction making it accelerate in that direction w.r.t the movable wedge so after some time when the block would have traversed the length of the wedge's platform on which it stands wouldn't it have partially lost contact with the wedge and have made contact with the fixed incline.

I guess that's why the problem asks for displacement for the first second, so that the block doesn't reach the inclined plane.

DrClaude said:
I guess that's why the problem asks for displacement for the first second, so that the block doesn't reach the inclined plane.
Yeah, you are right I think I am jumping to conclusions before even attempting it.

decentfellow said:
But in the (non-inertial)reference frame of the movable wedge there would be a pseudo force in the ##+ve x-## direction making it accelerate in that direction w.r.t the movable wedge so after some time when the block would have traversed the length of the wedge's platform on which it stands wouldn't it have partially lost contact with the wedge and have made contact with the fixed incline.
Yes, of course the block will eventually fall off the side of the wedge!

Related to Why does the Block have an Acceleration Only Downwards

1. Why does the block have an acceleration only downwards?

The block has an acceleration only downwards due to the force of gravity acting upon it. Gravity is a fundamental force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth, causing them to accelerate downwards.

2. What causes gravity to act on the block?

Gravity is caused by the mass of the Earth. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. Since the Earth is much larger than the block, it exerts a greater force of gravity on the block, causing it to accelerate downwards.

3. Can the block have an acceleration in other directions?

Yes, the block can have an acceleration in other directions if other forces are acting on it. For example, if a person pushes the block to the side, it will have an acceleration in that direction. However, the force of gravity will still be acting downwards, causing the block to accelerate downwards as well.

4. Is the acceleration of the block constant?

No, the acceleration of the block is not constant. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. Since different forces can act on the block at different times, its acceleration may change accordingly.

5. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of the block?

Air resistance can affect the acceleration of the block by opposing its motion and acting in the opposite direction of its movement. This can slow down the acceleration of the block, making it move downwards at a slower rate. However, if the block is falling from a great height, air resistance may become negligible compared to the force of gravity.