Why Does the Binomial Theorem Summation Not Equal 2n When n Varies?

In summary: You explained it very clearly. In summary, the issue lies in combining \binom{n}{k} and \binom{n}{n-k} to get 2\binom{n}{k}, as this effectively doubles the terms and results in an incorrect solution. To correctly solve the summation, one must stop in the middle and not multiply the last term by 2 if n is even.
Puzzedd
Using summation(([tex]\stackrel{n}{k}[/tex])xkyn-k) = (x+y)n, I let x = y = 1. This should then result in summation(([tex]\stackrel{n}{k}[/tex])*1*1) = (1 + 1)n = 2n.

Expanding the summation, I get

([tex]\stackrel{n}{0}[/tex]) + ([tex]\stackrel{n}{1}[/tex]) + ... +([tex]\stackrel{n}{n}[/tex]) = 2n.

Solving this results in

[tex]\frac{n!}{0!(n-0)!}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{n!}{1!(n-1)!}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}[/tex] + ... + [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-1)!(n-(n-1))!}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{n!}{n!(n-n)!}[/tex] = 2n

1 + n + [tex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2!}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!}[/tex] + ... + n + 1 = 2n

2 + 2n + n(n-1) + [tex]\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3}[/tex] + ... = 2n

The issue I am having is that when I plug values of n into the left side I do not get the same answer with the right side.

n = 0 results in 2 + 2(0) + ... = 2, not 20
n = 1 results in 2 + 2(1) + 1(1-1) + ... = 4, not 21
n = 2 results in 2 + 2(2) + 2(2-1) + [tex]\frac{2(2-1)(2-2)}{3}[/tex] + ... = 8, not 22
n = 3 results in 2 + 2(3) + 3(3-1) + [tex]\frac{3(3-1)(3-2)}{3}[/tex] + ... = 16, not 23

This seems as if ([tex]\stackrel{n}{0}[/tex]) + ([tex]\stackrel{n}{1}[/tex]) + ... +([tex]\stackrel{n}{n}[/tex]) = 2n should really be

([tex]\stackrel{n}{0}[/tex]) + ([tex]\stackrel{n}{1}[/tex]) + ... +([tex]\stackrel{n}{n}[/tex]) = 2n+1

Can anyone tell me why solving this summation is not consistent with the binomial theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem lays in the fact that [itex]{n\choose k}={n\choose n-k}[/itex]. While manipulating the expanded factorial form of the series you combined these coefficients, effectively doubling the terms for each choice of n. Whereas for n=0 there should be exactly one term, [itex]n\choose 0[/itex], you instead have two terms [itex]{n\choose 0}+{n\choose n}[/itex].
(Which is equal to [itex]2{0\choose 0}[/itex]).

JThompson is right.

If you wish to combind [itex]\binom{n}{k}[/itex] and [itex]\binom{n}{n-k}[/itex] to get [itex]\binom{n}{k}+\binom{n}{n-k}=2\binom{n}{k}[/itex], you need to stop in the middle, or you will double the whole thing and get 2·2n=2n+1.

If n is odd, you get:
[tex]2\binom{n}{0}+2\binom{n}{1}+\ldots+2\binom{n}{\frac{n-1}{2}}=2^n[/tex]
So the last term should be when k = (n-1)/2. If n=1, the last term should be when k=0, which means there'll only be one term: [itex]2\binom{1}{0}=2[/itex]
If n=3, you get: [itex]2\binom{3}{0}+2\binom{3}{1}=8[/itex] etc.

If n is even, you get:
[tex]2\binom{n}{0}+2\binom{n}{1}+...+2\binom{n}{\frac{n}{2}-1}+\binom{n}{\frac{n}{2}}=2^n[/tex]
So the last term should not be multiplied by 2. That is when k = n/2. If n=0, k will also be 0 in the last term. Since it's the last term, it should not be multiplied by 2.
Exapmles where n is even:
n=0: [itex]\binom{0}{0}=1[/itex]
n=2: [itex]2\binom{2}{0}+\binom{2}{1}=4[/itex]
n=4: [itex]2\binom{4}{0}+2\binom{4}{1}+\binom{4}{2}=16[/itex]

So if you wish to combind 2 terms to get fewer terms, remember to stop in the middle, and if n is even, don't multiply the last term by 2.
If you want, you could also just keep all the terms and not multiply any of them by 2.

Thanks! I spent an hour thinking about it last night and couldn't see what I was doing wrong.

I would first commend the individual for their curiosity and for attempting to solve the problem using the binomial theorem. I would then explain that the issue they are having is due to a misunderstanding of the notation used in the binomial theorem.

The notation (\stackrel{n}{k}) represents the binomial coefficient, which is the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects. This is not the same as simply multiplying n and k together.

In the case of plugging in x = y = 1, the resulting summation should be equal to 2^n, not 2n. This is because the binomial coefficients in the summation represent the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects, and when x = y = 1, each term in the summation is simply 1.

Therefore, the correct expansion of summation((\stackrel{n}{k})x^k y^(n-k)) is (x+y)^n, which in this case becomes (1+1)^n = 2^n.

In conclusion, the inconsistency the individual is experiencing is due to a misunderstanding of the notation used in the binomial theorem and the difference between the binomial coefficient and simply multiplying n and k together. With a better understanding of the notation, the summation should consistently result in 2^n.

Related to Why Does the Binomial Theorem Summation Not Equal 2n When n Varies?

1. What is the binomial theorem and why is it important in science?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand expressions containing two terms raised to a power. It is important in science because it allows us to easily calculate the coefficients of a polynomial and simplify complex equations.

2. What is the problem with the binomial theorem?

The problem with the binomial theorem is that it only works for binomials, or expressions with two terms. It cannot be applied to expressions with more than two terms, such as trinomials or polynomials.

3. Can the binomial theorem be extended to work for expressions with more than two terms?

Yes, the binomial theorem can be extended to work for expressions with more than two terms by using the multinomial theorem. However, the calculations become more complex and time-consuming.

4. How is the binomial theorem applied in real-world scientific problems?

The binomial theorem is commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes in experiments or events. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to simplify complex equations and calculate coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to the binomial theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the binomial theorem. It can only be applied to expressions with a finite number of terms, and the terms must be raised to a whole number power. It also assumes that the terms are independent and that the coefficients are constant.