Why Does the Area Element Vanish at the Origin in Polar Coordinates?

• I
  • Thread starter davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the mapping ##f: \mathbb{D}^1 \longrightarrow [0,1] \times (0,2 \pi]##, where ##\mathbb{D}^1## is the unit disk, represents the familiar polar coordinate system. The area element is ##dx \wedge dy## in ##\mathbb{D}^1## and ##r dr \wedge d\theta## in ##[0,1] \times (0,2 \pi]##. However, at ##r=0## the area element vanishes, causing problems with the equations. This is due to the fact that the polar system is singular at ##r=0##,
davidge
Consider the mapping ##f: \mathbb{D}^1 \longrightarrow [0,1] \times (0,2 \pi]## where ##\mathbb{D}^1## is the unit disk. This is the familiar polar coordinate system.

The area element is ##dx \wedge dy## in ##\mathbb{D}^1## and ##r dr \wedge d\theta## in ##[0,1] \times (0,2 \pi]##*. Now at ##r = 0## this vanishes. But ##dx \wedge dy = r dr \wedge d\theta## and that means ##dx \wedge dy = 0## as well.

We know that the polar system is singular at ##r = 0## because there cannot be a bijection: for every ##\theta \in (0,2 \pi]## we have the point ##(0,0)## in ##\mathbb{D}^1##.

But what is the meaning of the vanishing area element ##dx \wedge dy##?

*I know this is two dimensional and the area element as defined in vector calculus as the vector product of two vector requires a third vector, which means a third dimension. But I think this is not relevant here.

Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
Consider the mapping ##f: \mathbb{D}^1 \longrightarrow [0,1] \times (0,2 \pi]## where ##\mathbb{D}^1## is the unit disk. This is the familiar polar coordinate system.

The area element is ##dx \wedge dy## in ##\mathbb{D}^1## and ##r dr \wedge d\theta## in ##[0,1] \times (0,2 \pi]##*. Now at ##r = 0## this vanishes. But ##dx \wedge dy = r dr \wedge d\theta## and that means ##dx \wedge dy = 0## as well.

We know that the polar system is singular at ##r = 0## because there cannot be a bijection: for every ##\theta \in (0,2 \pi]## we have the point ##(0,0)## in ##\mathbb{D}^1##.

But what is the meaning of the vanishing area element ##dx \wedge dy##?

*I know this is two dimensional and the area element as defined in vector calculus as the vector product of two vector requires a third vector, which means a third dimension. But I think this is not relevant here.
It means that you have allowed the RHS to be multiplied by zero and the LHS not. The equations doesn't hold for ##r=0\,##.

Likes davidge
fresh_42 said:
The equations doesn't hold for ##r=0\,##.
Does it mean we have to remove the point ##(0,0)## from the disk?

davidge said:
Does it mean we have to remove the point ##(0,0)## from the disk?
In order to do what? I consider ##(dx,dy)## as Cartesian coordinates. If we give them coefficients, zero shouldn't be a problem. To me it is as if you asked, whether the origin of the plane should be removed, because the standard basis vectors aren't zero, whereas the radius can be zero.

Likes davidge
fresh_42 said:
To me it is as if you asked, whether the origin of the plane should be removed, because the standard basis vectors aren't zero, whereas the radius can be zero.
Yes, this is what I was asking you
fresh_42 said:
I consider ##(dx,dy)## as Cartesian coordinates.
Me too
fresh_42 said:
In order to do what?
In order not to have a inconsistent equation when ##r = 0##.

Well, the relation ##(0,0) \longleftrightarrow \{0\} \times (0,2\pi]## is obviously not one-to-one which causes problems. To remove a point is problematic, as it directly affects the functions defined on ##\mathbb{D}^1##. I'd rather change the coordinate system depending on the task.

Likes davidge
fresh_42 said:
Well, the relation ##(0,0) \longleftrightarrow \{0\} \times (0,2\pi]## is obviously not one-to-one which causes problems. To remove a point is problematic, as it directly affects the functions defined on ##\mathbb{D}^1##. I'd rather change the coordinate system depending on the task.
Any examples of such coordinate systems?
This is not a specific problem, I was just thinking about what I mentioned in post #1.

I assume in most cases it doesn't make a difference. If so, I'd simply use the Cartesian version, but that's only because I'm no big fan of polar coordinates. It would be interesting to have an example, where it makes a difference to see, what exactly shouldn't work.

Likes davidge
Basically, your coordinate change map is not defined for r=0:

We have:
##x=rcos\theta ##
## y=rsin\theta ##
But this holds for ## r \neq 0 ## only , as you said . Then the same is true for ## dx \wedge dy = (\frac {\partial}{\partial \theta}d\theta+ \frac{\partial}{\partial r}dr )( rcos\theta+ ysin\theta)##. The wedge is not defined at 0 because the coordinate expression for r=0 is not defined.
EDIT: the one way I can see ##dx \wedge dy ## turned into 0 is if the determinant of the Jacobian of a change of coordinate is 0. This is what ##f(x)dx\wedge dy ## measures; how much f(x) stretches/shrinks the area element under a trasnformation.

Last edited:
Likes davidge
WWGD said:
EDIT: the one way I can see ##dx \wedge dy ## turned into 0 is if the determinant of the Jacobain of a change of coordinate is 0
Which is not the case we are considering, because for this case we as you said, ##r=0## is not on the domain, isn't?

davidge said:
Which is not the case we are considering, because for this case we as you said, ##r=0## is not on the domain, isn't?
Right, we are not really transforming the space, we are expressing it in different terms, i.e., changing coordinate systems, so no squashing ( nor stretching) is happenning. EDIT: By ( many) definition(s) , actually , a change of variable is supposed to be a diffeomorphism, meaning the ais invertible,and therefore its determinant is non-zero. Which kind of makes sense, that you would want that for a coordinate change.

Last edited:
Likes davidge
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the set ##[0,1]\times [0,2\pi)## is not open and so the described mapping is not a chart? Polar coordinates can never give you a chart at ##r=0## and so it makes no sense to try to interpret coordinate expressions for tensors in polar coordinates at the origin.

Likes davidge
Orodruin said:
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the set ##[0,1]\times [0,2\pi)## is not open and so the described mapping is not a chart? Polar coordinates can never give you a chart at ##r=0## and so it makes no sense to try to interpret coordinate expressions for tensors in polar coordinates at the origin.
But I think the map is just intended to be a (local) change of coordinates. Is this equivalent to ##[0,1] \times [0,2\pi) ## being a chart?EDIT: I can see how a manifold is a way of assigning coordinates, but I had never seen things that way. Still, I agree, the coordinate change is a local diffeomorphism so it should preserve the topology of ##\mathbb D^1 ##.

Likes davidge
WWGD said:
But I think the map is just intended to be a (local) change of coordinates. Is this equivalent to ##[0,1] \times [0,2\pi) ## being a chart?
A chart is a homeomorphism from an open subset of the manifold to an open subset of ##\mathbb R^n##. It does not need to cover the entire manifold. Remove ##r=0##, ##r=1## and ##\theta = 0## and you have a chart that covers almost the entire disc.

Likes davidge and WWGD
@Orodruin I've been considering ##[0,1] \times [0,2 \pi)## throughout this thread because that set covers the entire disk and I think it's the most familiar way of mapping points on the disk, although it's not homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^2##.
Orodruin said:
it makes no sense to try to interpret coordinate expressions for tensors in polar coordinates at the origin.
Is the area element and all other quantities defined only when we have charts? Is it what you mean here?

davidge said:
@Orodruin I've been considering ##[0,1] \times [0,2 \pi)## throughout this thread because that set covers the entire disk and I think it's the most familiar way of mapping points on the disk, although it's not homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

Is the area element and all other quantities defined only when we have charts? Is it what you mean here?

If you want to use the coordinate expressions at a point, you must use a chart that is valid at that point. Writing ##r\, dr\wedge d\theta## makes no sense at ##r = 0## because your coordinate system does not define a chart there. There are some charts that cover all of the disc, your coordinate system with the given set is not one of them because it is not a chart. If you use any chart that covers the origin (such as Cartesian coordinates), you will find that the area element is non-zero there.

Likes davidge
Orodruin said:
If you want to use the coordinate expressions at a point, you must use a chart that is valid at that point. Writing ##r\, dr\wedge d\theta## makes no sense at ##r = 0## because your coordinate system does not define a chart there. There are some charts that cover all of the disc, your coordinate system with the given set is not one of them because it is not a chart. If you use any chart that covers the origin (such as Cartesian coordinates), you will find that the area element is non-zero there.
I got it. Thanks.

davidge said:
This mapping cannot be continuous.

In the other direction the map is continuous but singular.

Last edited:
Likes davidge
lavinia said:
Where it is singular?

davidge said:
Where it is singular?
The map in the other direction maps the entire half open interval ##{0}×(0,2π]## onto the center of the unit disk.

Likes davidge
lavinia said:
The map in the other direction maps the entire half open interval ##{0}×(0,2π]## onto the center of the unit disk.
Oh, yea. Thanks.

lavinia said:
This mapping cannot be continuous.

Are you referring to the coordinate change map ##x=rcos\theta, y=rsin\theta ##?

WWGD said:
Are you referring to the coordinate change map ##x=rcos\theta, y=rsin\theta ##?

The map from the disk to ##[0,1]×(0,2π]## cannot be continuous. The reverse is singular.

lavinia said:
The map from the disk to ##[0,1]×(0,2π]## cannot be continuous. The reverse is singular.
I meant, by "The map" , are you referring to the change of variable map ## x=rcos\theta, y =rsin\theta ##?

WWGD said:
I meant, by "The map" , are you referring to the change of variable map ## x=rcos\theta, y =rsin\theta ##?

The OP described the inverse of polar coordinates as a surjective map ##D^1→[0,1]×(0,2π]##. If this map were continuous - as you also pointed out - then ##[0,1]×(0,2π]## would be compact - which it isn't. So no surjective map can be continuous.

The reverse map from ##[0,1]×(0,2π]→D^1## can be defined as ##(α,β) →(α##cos ##(β),α## sin##(β))## but this map is singular.

Last edited:

Related to Why Does the Area Element Vanish at the Origin in Polar Coordinates?

1. What is mapping between two spaces?

Mapping between two spaces is a mathematical concept that refers to the process of transforming points or objects from one space to another. It involves understanding the relationship between the points or objects in the two spaces and finding a way to represent them in a different space.

2. Why is mapping between two spaces important in science?

Mapping between two spaces is important in science because it allows us to understand and analyze complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components. It also helps us to visualize and communicate data and information in a meaningful way.

3. What are some examples of mapping between two spaces?

Some examples of mapping between two spaces include converting a 2D image into a 3D model, projecting the Earth's surface onto a flat map, and transforming DNA sequences into protein structures.

4. What are the different types of mapping between two spaces?

There are several types of mapping between two spaces, including linear mapping, affine mapping, and non-linear mapping. Linear mapping preserves the shape and size of objects, while affine mapping allows for rotation, translation, and scaling. Non-linear mapping involves more complex transformations such as bending or stretching.

5. How is mapping between two spaces used in real-world applications?

Mapping between two spaces has a wide range of practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and data analysis. It is used to create accurate geographical maps, simulate physical processes, and analyze large datasets, among many other uses.