Why does the amplitude <p |T| p'> have the dimension of a volume?

In summary: Can you please help me?In summary, Joos introduces the notation f(q,q'). What is the dimension of f from his notation? f(q,q') is defined in (A1.12) and has the dimension of 1/L. F has the dimension of 1/T. Joos wants to prove that the density matrix diagonalizes as time grows. First, he calculates the scattering amplitude f(q,q') with the help of the relation between the scattering amplitude and the cross section. Next, he looks for a relation between the scattering amplitude and the distance x-x'. Finally, he proves that the density matrix diagonalizes as time grows.
naima
Gold Member
Hello

I am reading this book: "[URL and the appearance of a classical word&f=false"]decoherence[/URL]
I hope someone could help me.
Please go to Appendix A1
Joos introduces the notation f(q,q'). What is the dimension of f from his notation?
Next page he writes that [tex]\int f^2 d\Omega d\Omega'[/tex] is a cross section.
do you understand why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see anything like that at A1...

F(q,q') is defined in (A1.12)
Have you access to the book or just with my link (google book)?

The scattering amplitude f has dimensions of inverse length. This is basic scattering theory; see any book on QM for the relation between the scattering amplitude and the cross section.

Avodyne said:
The scattering amplitude f has dimensions of inverse length.

Good.

Lets us come to what follows.
[tex] \rho (x,x')[/tex] is the density matrix and we have
[tex] \Delta \rho (x,x') =- \rho (x,x') F(x-x') \Delta t [/tex]
F has the dimension of 1/T
Joos wants to prove that the density matrix diagonalizes as time grows.
[tex] F(x-x') = \int dq n(q) v(q) \int \frac{d\Omega d\Omega'}{2}(1 -exp[i(q-q')(x-x')])|f(q,q')|^2[/tex]
Then he writes: for large distances x-x', F approaches
[tex] 2 \pi \int dq n(q) v(q) \sigma(q)[/tex]
with [tex] \sigma(q) [/tex] the total cross section

So my question is: if f(q,q') has the dimension 1/L how can we get a cross section (dimension of a surface)?

Thanks

Argh! Sorry, I meant length, not inverse length. You can see this from A1.12, where T is dimensionless, and [itex]\langle q'|q\rangle=\delta^3(q'-q)[/itex] has dimensions of length cubed (q' and q are three-vectors, each with dimensions of inverse length), and [itex]\delta(q'-q)[/itex] has dimensions of length (q' and q are now magnitudes of three-vectors).

Thank you Avodyne.

Your answer is very clear!
<p|p'> is a product of 3 dirac

I did the same mistake. I cannot easily understand how an amplitude <p |T| p'> has the dimension of a volume (and a density of probability a L^6 dimension)

Related to Why does the amplitude <p |T| p'> have the dimension of a volume?

What is decoherence and how does it occur?

Decoherence is a process in which a quantum system becomes entangled with its surrounding environment, leading to a loss of its quantum properties. This occurs due to interactions between the system and its environment, causing superposition states to collapse into classical, observable states.

What is the significance of decoherence in quantum mechanics?

Decoherence is a major challenge in the field of quantum mechanics, as it can hinder the ability to observe and manipulate quantum systems. It also plays a crucial role in the transition from the quantum to the classical world, helping to explain why we experience a classical reality despite living in a quantum universe.

What is a cross section in the context of decoherence?

In the context of decoherence, a cross section refers to the measure of the probability for a quantum system to interact with its environment. It is a key parameter in understanding the rate and strength of decoherence, and is often used in calculations and experiments.

How does the cross section affect the rate of decoherence?

The cross section directly affects the rate of decoherence, as a larger cross section means a higher probability of interaction between the system and its environment. This leads to a faster loss of quantum properties and a shorter decoherence time.

Can decoherence be controlled or prevented?

While it is not currently possible to completely prevent decoherence, there are methods being developed to control and reduce its effects. This includes quantum error correction techniques and the use of quantum error correction codes. Additionally, choosing the right materials and environments for quantum systems can also help to minimize the effects of decoherence.