Why does source current reverse in single phase rectifier with source impedance?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of source current reversal in a single phase rectifier with source impedance. The speaker is having difficulty understanding the change in current from positive to negative and how this affects the load voltage, and requests for example circuits to better understand the concept.
nitishsharmabit
Hello folks,
Can someone explain me the source current reversal in single phase rectifier having source impedance. I understood the analysis and functionality, but having a hard time understanding the change in current in source impedance from +ve to -ve. How load voltage is zero at this instant?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
nitishsharmabit said:
Hello folks,
Can someone explain me the source current reversal in single phase rectifier having source impedance. I understood the analysis and functionality, but having a hard time understanding the change in current in source impedance from +ve to -ve. How load voltage is zero at this instant?

Thanks
Can you posts some example circuits?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1446575019.370091.jpg

I've attached the circuit.

Related to Why does source current reverse in single phase rectifier with source impedance?

1. What is a phase controlled rectifier?

A phase controlled rectifier is an electronic device that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) by controlling the output voltage using thyristors or silicon controlled rectifiers (SCRs). It is commonly used in power supplies and motor control applications.

2. How does a phase controlled rectifier work?

A phase controlled rectifier works by controlling the firing angle of the thyristors or SCRs. The thyristors are triggered by a pulse from a control circuit, and once triggered, they allow current to flow from the AC source to the load. By adjusting the firing angle, the output voltage can be controlled.

3. What are the advantages of using a phase controlled rectifier?

One of the main advantages of using a phase controlled rectifier is its ability to control the output voltage. This makes it useful for applications where precise control of the DC voltage is required. It also has a simple and robust design, making it cost-effective and reliable.

4. What are the different types of phase controlled rectifiers?

There are three types of phase controlled rectifiers: half-wave, full-wave, and bridge. In a half-wave rectifier, only one half of the AC waveform is converted to DC, resulting in a pulsating DC output. A full-wave rectifier converts both halves of the AC waveform, resulting in a smoother DC output. A bridge rectifier uses four diodes to convert AC to DC and is the most commonly used type of phase controlled rectifier.

5. What are the applications of phase controlled rectifiers?

Phase controlled rectifiers are used in a wide range of applications, including AC motor speed control, battery charging, DC power supplies, and uninterruptible power supplies (UPS). They are also commonly used in industrial applications for controlling the speed and torque of motors, as well as in renewable energy systems such as wind and solar power.