Why Does Reflection Phase Shift Not Always Apply to Both Polarizations?

In summary, the Fresnel coefficients show that there are different conditions for the s and p polarization reflection coefficients to become negative. However, common understanding and textbooks often assume the light ray to have s polarization, leading to a misunderstanding that a phase shift occurs when n1 < n2. This is not always the case and both polarizations may shift phase or only the p polarization may do so depending on the conditions.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Its always said that a reflected light ray acquires a phase shift equal to ## \pi ## if ## n_1 < n_2 ##. But considering the Fresnel coefficients, its revealed that its only for the s-polarization reflection coefficient that ## n_1 < n_2 ## causes the coefficient become negative. The p-polarization reflection coefficient becomes negative only when ## \sin^2 \theta_1 > \frac{1}{1+(\frac{n_1}{n_2})^2} ##. So why the first sentence doesn't distinguish different polarizations?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
I guess the author implicitly assumes normal incidence.

I just found* that the p reflection coefficient becomes negative when ## n_2 < n_1 ##, exactly the opposite condition for s reflection coefficient!

*## n_2 \cos\theta_1<n_1 \cos\theta_2 \Rightarrow \frac{n_2}{n_1} \cos\theta_1 < \cos\theta_2 \Rightarrow \sin\theta_1\cos\theta_1 < \sin\theta_2 \cos\theta_2 \Rightarrow \sin{2\theta_1} < \sin{2 \theta_2} \Rightarrow \\ \theta_1 < \theta_2 \Rightarrow n_2 < n_1##

What does it have to do with the original problem?

It seems we have two conditions that result in ## r_p < 0## but only one for ## r_s<0 ##. So we have the following situations:
1) ## n_1 < n_2 ## and ## \sin^2{\theta_1}<\frac{1}{1+(\frac{n_1}{n_2})^2} ##: Only the s polarization shifts phase upon reflection.
2) ## n_1 < n_2 ## and ## \sin^2{\theta_1}>\frac{1}{1+(\frac{n_1}{n_2})^2} ##: Both polarizations shift phase upon reflection.
3) ## n_1 > n_2 ##: Only p polarization shifts phase upon reflection.
Well, at least now I have a clearer view. I'm beginning to think that the optics textbooks implicitly assume the light ray to have s polarization. Am I overestimating the number of textbooks that claim ## n_1 < n_2 ## means there is a phase shift upon reflection? Actually someone asked me this question and I remember in my own optics course that the professor kept repeating that there is phase shift when ## n_1 < n_2 ##. This is also abundant on the internet(this, this, this and this). But I don't remember whether textbooks claim as such or not. It seems to me that textbooks get it right but it became a misunderstanding among people.

Last edited:

Related to Why Does Reflection Phase Shift Not Always Apply to Both Polarizations?

1. What is phase shift upon reflection?

Phase shift upon reflection is the change in the phase of a wave when it is reflected off of a boundary. This can occur with any type of wave, such as light, sound, or water waves.

2. Why does phase shift occur during reflection?

Phase shift occurs during reflection because the wave is bouncing off of a surface, causing a change in its direction and sometimes its speed. This change in direction and speed leads to a change in the phase of the wave.

3. How is phase shift measured?

Phase shift is typically measured in degrees or radians. It is calculated by determining the difference in the starting point of the wave and the ending point after reflection.

4. Is phase shift the same for all types of waves?

No, phase shift can vary depending on the type of wave and the properties of the reflecting surface. For example, light waves can experience a phase shift of 180 degrees when reflected off of a medium with a higher refractive index.

5. What are some real-life applications of phase shift upon reflection?

Phase shift upon reflection is used in various technologies, such as radar and sonar, to detect and measure the distance of objects. It is also used in fiber optic communication to transmit signals over long distances without significant loss.