Why Does Reflection Occur at a Lower Potential in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the reflection coefficient for particles incident on a one dimensional step function potential with energy E>V is R=1, as the particles will all be reflected at the step down in potential. This makes sense intuitively, as the potential barrier is higher than the energy of the particles, so they cannot pass through it. It is important to check calculations and ensure that boundary conditions are implemented correctly.
tarq

Homework Statement

Consider particles incident on a one dimensional step function potential, V(x)=Vphi(x) with energy E>V. Calculate the reflection coefficent for particles incident from the right (Barrier height=V at x>0, Barrier height=0 at x<0). Consider the limits as E tends to V and E tends to infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay the question seemed pretty simple and i worked out the solutions to the wave equation and then used these to find the reflectio coefficent and implemented the boundary conditions to give the solution to me in terms of k. the solution i got was R=(K-1)^2/(K+1)^2 where K=sqrt(1-V/E). This means as E tends to infinity K tends to 1 and R tends to zero which makes sense, what's confusing me is that as E tends to V, R tends to 1 which doesn't seem to make any sense as the particles are approaching a step down in the potential. I would think that the particles are moving along the potential and then would 'fall down' at the step rather than be reflected because they arent hitting a wall and so i think my answer must be wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation. The reflection coefficient for particles incident on a one dimensional step function potential with energy E>V should be R=1, as the particles will all be reflected at the step down in potential. This makes sense intuitively, as the potential barrier is higher than the energy of the particles, so they cannot pass through it. I suggest checking your calculations and making sure you have implemented the boundary conditions correctly. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Why Does Reflection Occur at a Lower Potential in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is the QM step potential problem?

The QM step potential problem is a quantum mechanical problem that involves a particle encountering a sudden change in potential energy. This can be modeled as a step function, where the potential energy suddenly jumps from one value to another. It is a commonly used example in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in different potential energy conditions.

2. How is the QM step potential problem solved?

There are various methods to solve the QM step potential problem, depending on the level of complexity and accuracy required. One common approach is to use the Schrodinger equation to calculate the wave function of the particle at each side of the step. Another method is to use the transfer matrix method, which simplifies the problem by dividing it into regions of constant potential energy.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the QM step potential problem?

The main assumptions made in the QM step potential problem include the particle being a point mass, the potential energy being a step function, and the absence of external forces. These assumptions allow for a simplified model that is still able to capture the fundamental aspects of the problem.

4. What are some real-world applications of the QM step potential problem?

The QM step potential problem has applications in various fields, including semiconductor physics, solid-state physics, and quantum computing. It is also used to study the behavior of particles in nuclear potential wells and in analyzing the properties of quantum tunneling.

5. What are some limitations of the QM step potential problem?

One limitation of the QM step potential problem is that it only considers one-dimensional potential energy changes, which may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, it assumes a single particle and does not take into account the interactions between multiple particles. Furthermore, the step potential function may not accurately represent the complex potential energy landscapes found in many physical systems.