Why Does Projectile Motion Involve Zero X-Component Acceleration?

In summary: The x-component is the first part of the equation -> 4.9t^3 (i.e x(t)=4.9t^3)dx/dt = 14.7t^2 (which is also equal to v(t) = 14.7t^2 -> for the x-component)Differentiate again [dv/dt]dv/dt = 0 (which is also equal to a(t) = 0 -> for the x-component) [i.e instantenous acceleration for x(t)]Solution for (instantenous acceleration at t=3.4s) = 0 (3.4) = 0 m
jamiebean
Homework Statement
The position of a particle is
4.9t^{3}\hat{i} +-4.4t^{4}\hat{j} m . what is the x component of the acceleration at time 3.4 s in unit of ms-2? t denotes time in second.
Relevant Equations
d=vi x t + 0.5at^2
I intended to finish the question with the equation of linear motion with constant acceleration, but it didn't work out. And I have no idea about the t^3 and t^4 of the position. How can I find the x component of the acceleration at time 3.4 s ? Where is the acceleration rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration isn't constant. How, in general, do you find acceleration from a function of position?

PeroK said:
Acceleration isn't constant. How, in general, do you find acceleration from a function of position?

a=dv/dt ??

jamiebean said:
a=dv/dt ??
Of course!

PeroK said:
Of course!

I'm quite new to differentiation so... I don't really know how to calculate arghhhh
a=dv/dt
I calculated dv=14.7t^2
but isn't it dt=d x 3.8=0?

jamiebean said:
I'm quite new to differentiation so... I don't really know how to calculate arghhhh
a=dv/dt
I calculated dv=14.7t^2
but isn't it dt=d x 3.8=0?

I suggest you calculate the velocity and acceleration for this particle. If you don't know how to differentiate, then that might be a problem.

Paul's online maths is a good resource for all things calculus:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DiffFormulas.aspx

Approach. You need to find dv/dt of the x-component. That takes a two-step process from x(t) -> a function of position. So to get to dv/dt, you need to differentiate dx/dt twice. What this means is first derive the velocity and then from velocity derive acceleration. Still unclear? No worries, look below.

The x-component is the first part of the equation -> 4.9t^3 (i.e x(t)=4.9t^3)

dx/dt = 14.7t^2 (which is also equal to v(t) = 14.7t^2 -> for the x-component)

Differentiate again [dv/dt]

dv/dt = 29.4t (which is also equal to a(t) = 29.4t -> for the x-component) [i.e instanteneous acceleration for x(t)]

Solution for (instantenous acceleration at t=3.4s) = 29.4 (3.4) = 99.96 m/s^2

If anything is unclear, I am happy to answer your questions.

Last edited:
Likes jamiebean
dio00 said:
Approach. You need to find dv/dt of the x-component. That takes a two-step process from x(t) -> a function of position. So to get to dv/dt, you need to differentiate dx/dt twice. What this means is first derive the velocity and then from velocity derive acceleration. Still unclear? No worries, look below.

The x-component is the first part of the equation -> 4.9t^3 (i.e x(t)=4.9t^3)

dx/dt = 14.7t^2 (which is also equal to v(t) = 14.7t^2 -> for the x-component)

Differentiate again [dv/dt]

dv/dt = 29.4t (which is also equal to a(t) = 29.4t -> for the x-component) [i.e instanteneous acceleration for x(t)]

Solution for (instantenous acceleration at t=3.4s) = 29.4 (3.4) = 99.96 m/s^2

If anything is unclear, I am happy to answer your questions.
thanks a lot :) I have got it! really really big thanksss

Likes dio00
PeroK said:
I suggest you calculate the velocity and acceleration for this particle. If you don't know how to differentiate, then that might be a problem.

Paul's online maths is a good resource for all things calculus:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/DiffFormulas.aspx
thanks a lot ! it really helped alotttttttt hahaha thank you!

jamiebean said:
thanks a lot :) I have got it! really really big thanksss

One other thing to note is that the x-component of a projectile motion almost always has an acceleration of 0, because the x-component does not contribute to the detour. This might be a little confusing, considering what I shared earlier. I thought it will be useful to know.

Related to Why Does Projectile Motion Involve Zero X-Component Acceleration?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What are the key variables in projectile motion?

The key variables in projectile motion are the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v2 * sin2θ) / (2 * g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is why objects with the same mass but different shapes will have different ranges when launched at the same velocity and angle.