Why does polarized light shift color in reflections on the sea?

In summary, the conversation discusses the blue color observed in the reflection of the sun on the calm sea. The person is unsure of why this occurs and is curious about the science behind it. It is suggested that the effect may be due to the orientation of the polarizer and the use of other filters. There is also mention of the scattered wavelengths in the atmosphere contributing to the blue color. Further understanding of this phenomenon is desired.
Artlav
Hello.

I've noticed a thing i could not understand, and hope someone can explain it to me.

Given: The sun at about 45* angle above, the calm sea flat below.
The sky is gray with thin, fog-like clouds.
There is a reflection in the sea of the sun above.
http://orbides.1gb.ru/img/pol-1.jpg

Now, let's look at it through a horizontally polarized filter:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/img/pol-a.jpg

There is an area, roughly 45* looking down, where the part of the reflection is bright and saturated blue.

Turning the filter 90 degrees, and there is nothing special:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/img/pol-b.jpg

Why is there the blue color?
As far as i understand, the light reflected from a border between two mediums with different indexes of refraction would be partially polarized perpendicularly to that surface, regardless of wavelength.

What else is at work here?

Science news on Phys.org
That's an interesting effect.

I'm not entirely clear, but presumably when you say 'horizontal' and 'vertical', you mean with respect to the horizon. Also, I am assuming you oriented the polarizer (w.r.t the horizon), and then tilted and tipped your camera down, changing the orientation of the polarizer with respect to the water surface.

Light reflected off a water surface is primarily polarized in the horizontal direction (Brewster's angle): the P-polarized component is poorly reflected.

However, your blue speckles are clearly reflections.

I am wondering what exactly you are using: is it a linear polarizer only? are there other filters in place (e.g. is it really a circular polarizer?) Does this effect happen only for certain "magic" angles, or is it a general effect?

I'd like to understand this as well...

Another effect is that the atmospherically scattered wavelengths,primarily around the blue area of the spectrum and hence the reason for blue skies,are themselves partially plane polarised(completely plane polarised for scattering angles of 90 degrees).

Related to Why does polarized light shift color in reflections on the sea?

1. What is polarized light?

Polarized light is a type of light that has its electric field oscillating in a single plane. This means that all the light waves are aligned in the same direction, unlike natural light which has waves oscillating in all directions.

2. How does polarized light shift color?

When unpolarized light reflects off a surface, the electric field becomes oriented in a specific direction, causing the light to become polarized. This change in orientation can cause the light to appear to have a different color, as certain wavelengths may be absorbed or reflected more strongly depending on the orientation of the electric field.

3. What causes polarized light to shift color?

The orientation of the electric field in polarized light can cause certain wavelengths of light to be absorbed or reflected more strongly, resulting in a shift in color. This is due to the properties of the material or surface that the light is reflecting off of.

4. How is polarized light used in everyday life?

Polarized light is used in a variety of ways, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in 3D movies to create a more realistic image, and in LCD displays to control the amount of light that passes through. It is also used in scientific research, particularly in studying the properties of materials.

5. Can polarized light be harmful to our eyes?

No, polarized light itself is not harmful to our eyes. In fact, polarized sunglasses can help protect our eyes from harmful UV rays. However, polarized light can affect the perceived color of objects, so it is important to consider this when viewing objects that require accurate color perception, such as traffic lights.