Why Does My Snell's Law Demonstration Fail Using a Linear Function Approach?

Snell's law rather than a line as it does not accurately represent the concept of minimum. This is because when taking the derivative and setting it to 0, it only considers the case when the line is parallel to the x-axis, not accounting for other possible angles. The real demonstration of Snell's law is based on the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction.
physics user1
I can't figure out why my demonstration of snell's law fails, that's the demonstration: (I used a photo)
I think it fails because the function t (HO) represents a line and so the concept of minimum is not defined, when I take the derivative and equal it to 0 I'm considering the case when the line is parallel to the x-axis (the first derivative gives me the angular coefficient and when I equal it to 0 the line is parallel) (considering as y the time and as x HO)

Is that the problem? ( I know the real demonstration but i want to understand why this variant doesn't work)

Attachments

• 1451434372187-269526573.jpg
    1451434372187-269526573.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 427
Science news on Phys.org
##AO\sin\theta_1=AH##

theodoros.mihos said:
##AO\sin\theta_1=AH##

But... θ1 is the angle whit the vertical

You are right. May be better a simpler geometry.
Let ##A(x_1,y_1)## and ##B(x_2,y_2)## the end points and ##O(x,0)## the point than we need. Write the total time and take derivation ##d/dx(t)=0##.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and physics user1
yep it is preferable to use simple geometry to demonstrate

Related to Why Does My Snell's Law Demonstration Fail Using a Linear Function Approach?

What is Snell's law?

Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction, describes how light bends when it travels through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass.

What is a Snell's law demonstration?

A Snell's law demonstration is a visual representation of how light bends when it travels through different mediums. It typically involves a light source, a block of glass or water, and a protractor to measure the angles of incidence and refraction.

Why is Snell's law important?

Snell's law is important because it helps us understand how light behaves when it travels through different materials, which is essential in many scientific and technological fields, such as optics, engineering, and medicine.

How is Snell's law demonstrated?

Snell's law is demonstrated by shining a ray of light through a block of glass or water at different angles and measuring the resulting angles of refraction. These measurements can then be compared to the theoretical values predicted by Snell's law.

What are some real-world applications of Snell's law?

Snell's law has many practical applications, including designing lenses for glasses and cameras, determining the optimal angle for solar panels, and understanding how light is refracted in the eye to correct vision problems.