Why Does My Emission Spectra Prediction Program Differ from Lab Results?

In summary, the conversation discusses a program that was created to calculate possible electron jumps and display the resulting photons. The program can be downloaded and requires input of the number of electrons and ionization energy, as well as a recursion depth. The program has difficulty calculating atoms other than hydrogen and the question is raised about the accuracy of the results. The conversation also mentions the complexity of atoms and the need to consider screening and electron-electron correlation effects for accurate results. It is suggested that the program may have been based on a grade 12 textbook and may not be realistic enough to account for these effects. The best results are obtained with hydrogen-like atoms due to their simplicity.
Eternius
Hi there. I'm new to this board so please excuse if this is misplaced, there seems to be too many places to choose from.

While browsing my computer I found a little program I wrote when doing year 12 physics that was based on the textbook material about ionization energies. It recurssively calculates possible 'electron jumps' between energy levels and approximately displays the visible portion of the resulting photons. You can download it http://www.heraldsofdeath.com/geargod/downloads/freq.exe . It will ask for a number of electrons and for each one, the ionization energy required. It will then ask the recurssion depth, think of this as the 'temperature' to which the 'sample' is heated.

The program has no trouble calculating hydrogen and several other atoms if I remember right, but for other atoms the output is very different from lab results. Could someone explain to me why this is the case? I'm afraid that I have not touched physics since then and if anything, got stupider over the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of an calculational scheme did you use? Since it was based on a grade 12 textbook I really doubt it was too realistic. To get accurate results you'd have to consider screening and electron-electron correlation effects for example. Every electron in an atom interacts with the others via quantum mechanical effects and the Coulomb interaction and that makes atoms very complex systems. You probably got the best results with hydrogen-like atoms because... well because they're hydrogen-like and it's the simplest possible atom.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Your program sounds like a great way to explore emission spectra. The reason why your program may be giving different results than lab experiments is because emission spectra are highly dependent on external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other elements. In a lab setting, these factors can be carefully controlled and measured, which may result in more accurate emission spectra. Additionally, emission spectra can also be affected by the specific energy levels of the electrons in the atom, which may vary from atom to atom. So while your program may be able to accurately calculate emission spectra for some atoms, it may not be able to account for all of the external factors and variations in energy levels that can affect the results. Overall, your program is a great tool for predicting emission spectra, but it is important to keep in mind that lab experiments may still provide more accurate and reliable results.

Related to Why Does My Emission Spectra Prediction Program Differ from Lab Results?

1. What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a series of colored lines or bands that are produced when an element or compound is excited by energy, such as heat or electricity. Each element or compound has a unique emission spectrum, making it a useful tool for identifying and studying them.

2. How is an emission spectrum predicted?

An emission spectrum can be predicted using mathematical equations and spectroscopic techniques. First, the energy levels of the electrons in the atom or molecule are calculated. Then, the wavelengths of light that will be emitted as the electrons transition between energy levels are determined. This information is used to create a graphical representation of the emission spectrum.

3. What factors affect the emission spectrum?

The emission spectrum of an element or compound can be affected by a variety of factors, including the temperature at which it is excited, the pressure of the environment, and the presence of other elements or compounds. The physical structure of the atom or molecule also plays a role in determining its emission spectrum.

4. How is the emission spectrum used in scientific research?

Emission spectra are used in a variety of scientific fields, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics. They can be used to identify unknown elements or compounds, study the energy levels and structure of atoms and molecules, and detect the presence of certain substances in a sample. Emission spectra are also used in the development of new technologies, such as lasers and LED lights.

5. Can the emission spectrum be used to determine the composition of a substance?

Yes, the emission spectrum can provide valuable information about the composition of a substance. By analyzing the wavelengths and intensities of the emission lines, scientists can identify the elements or compounds present in a sample. This is particularly useful in fields such as forensic science and environmental monitoring, where accurate identification of substances is crucial.