Why Does My Calculation of Maxwellian Gas Velocity Yield an Incorrect Result?

In summary: T}{m} + \frac {8kT}{\pi m} = \frac {kT}{m} + \frac {8kT}{\pi m} = \frac {3kT}{m} + \frac {8kT}{\pi m} = \frac {3kT}{2m}$$
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Calculate the value of ##<(v-\bar v)²>## for a Maxwellian gas
Relevant Equations
##<(v-\bar v)²> = <v²> + <\bar v²> - 2<v><\bar v>##
I expanded it as shown above and got

##<v²> + <\bar v²> - 2<v><\bar v>## = ##v_{rms}^2 + \bar v^2 = \frac {3kT} m+\frac {8kT} {πm}##

I used ##<v> = 0## as the velocity is equally likely to be positive as it's likely to be negetive.

From the above I get the answer ##\frac {kT} m(3+\frac 8 π)## but, the answer should be ##\frac {kT} m(3-\frac 8 π)##

Please help me understand what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand either answer. What does ##\bar v## represent here? Isn't it the same as ##\langle v \rangle## so should be 0?

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
vela said:
I don't understand either answer. What does ##\bar v## represent here? Isn't it the same as ##\langle v \rangle## so should be 0?

##\bar v## is the average velocity of the molecules in the gas and it is the same as ##<v>##, it would be 0 if the difference was not squared. The term ##<(v - \bar v)^2>## is the Variance of the velocity distribution.

So you're saying ##v_{\rm rms}^2 = \frac {3kT}{m} + \frac{8 k T}{\pi m}##? Can you explain how you got that?

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
vela said:
So you're saying ##v_{\rm rms}^2 = \frac {3kT}{m} + \frac{8 k T}{\pi m}##? Can you explain how you got that?

##\frac {3kT}{m}## & ##\frac{8kT}{\pi m}## are respectively the formulas for the square of the RMS and Average velocities of a molecule in a gas according to Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
##\frac {3kT}{m}## & ##\frac{8kT}{\pi m}## are respectively the formulas for the square of the RMS and Average velocities of a molecule in a gas according to Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.
How do you reconcile this statement with your earlier statement that the average velocity is 0?

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
vela said:
How do you reconcile this statement with your earlier statement that the average velocity is 0?

I think I understood! ##v## cannot be negetive as it is velocity in 3D (##\vec v = v_x\hat i + v_y\hat j + v_z\hat k##) and it's magnitude must be positive! Only the average of ##v_x,v_y,v_z## would be 0.

Thanks a lot!

Saptarshi Sarkar said:
I think I understood! ##v## cannot be negative as it is velocity in 3D (##\vec v = v_x\hat i + v_y\hat j + v_z\hat k##) and its magnitude must be positive! Only the average of ##v_x,v_y,v_z## would be 0.
I think you're working with velocities, not speeds, in this problem. That is, ##v## and ##\bar v## both represent vectors, not the magnitudes. If this is the case, you generally have
$$\langle (v-\bar v)^2 \rangle = \langle (v-\bar v)\cdot (v-\bar v) \rangle = \langle v^2 \rangle - 2\langle v \cdot \bar v \rangle + \langle \bar v^2 \rangle.$$ You can show that
$$\langle v \cdot \bar v \rangle = \langle v \rangle \cdot \bar v = \bar v \cdot \bar v$$

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar

Related to Why Does My Calculation of Maxwellian Gas Velocity Yield an Incorrect Result?

1. What is the Maxwellian gas velocity distribution?

The Maxwellian gas velocity distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of velocities for particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is a Gaussian or bell-shaped curve that peaks at the most probable velocity and decreases as the velocity increases.

2. How is the velocity of a Maxwellian gas calculated?

The velocity of a Maxwellian gas can be calculated using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the mass of the particles, the temperature of the gas, and the universal gas constant. This distribution can be used to determine the probability of a particle having a certain velocity in a gas at a given temperature.

3. What is the most probable velocity in a Maxwellian gas?

The most probable velocity in a Maxwellian gas is the peak of the velocity distribution curve. This velocity is the most likely to be observed in the gas, and it is directly related to the temperature of the gas. As the temperature increases, the most probable velocity also increases.

4. How does the velocity of a Maxwellian gas change with temperature?

The velocity of a Maxwellian gas is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature. As the temperature of the gas increases, the average velocity of the particles also increases. This can be seen in the shape of the Maxwellian gas velocity distribution, where the peak of the curve shifts to the right as the temperature increases.

5. Are there any assumptions made in the Maxwellian gas velocity distribution?

Yes, there are several assumptions made in the Maxwellian gas velocity distribution, including that the gas is in thermal equilibrium, the particles are non-interacting, and the collisions between particles are elastic. These assumptions allow for a simplified model of gas behavior, but they may not accurately represent real-world gases in all situations.