Why Does Light Travel the Shortest Path?

In summary, light (or any object) travels the shortest path between two points in space-time when there is no force acting on it, which is defined as a geodesic. This concept only applies to objects in free fall, and is a fundamental principle of physics. The bending of space is a human-made model used to understand this phenomenon, but the physics comes first before the model.
Cobalt101
Why does light (or indeed any object) travel the shortest path between two points (whether for flat or curved space/space-time) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cobalt101 said:
Why does light (or indeed any object) travel the shortest path between two points (whether for flat or curved space/space-time) ?
Well, it DOESN'T travel on a geodesic if there is a force acting on it, only if it is in freefall (no forces).

But my question is if there is no force acting on it (i.e. free fall) why does it travel on the geodesic?

Cobalt101 said:

Do you mean the shortest path in space or the shortest path in spacetime?

If you mean the shortest path in space, it's not always the case that light, or any object, takes that path. You need to be more specific about what scenario you are talking about.

If you mean the shortest path in spacetime, that concept as you state it has no meaning for light, since the spacetime interval along a light ray's worldline in spacetime is always zero. For ordinary objects, if they are in free fall, then the path they take through spacetime is the longest path between two events, not the shortest.

Cobalt101 said:
if there is no force acting on it (i.e. free fall) why does it travel on the geodesic?

A geodesic is defined as the path in spacetime that a freely falling object takes. The reason it's defined that way is that that's what makes the spacetime geometry model work correctly, i.e., make correct predictions.

Likes Cobalt101
PeterDonis said:
Do you mean the shortest path in space or the shortest path in spacetime?

If you mean the shortest path in space, it's not always the case that light, or any object, takes that path. You need to be more specific about what scenario you are talking about.

If you mean the shortest path in spacetime, that concept as you state it has no meaning for light, since the spacetime interval along a light ray's worldline in spacetime is always zero. For ordinary objects, if they are in free fall, then the path they take through spacetime is the longest path between two events, not the shortest.

I guess my question is at the basic end of things, trying to understand how the bending of space actually "works", what is the mechanism- for example, why does a planet follow the geodesic around the sun ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobalt101 said:
why does a planet follow the geodesic around the sun ?
Geodesics in space-time is a human made model. It's our interpretation of the world. Why we use that interpretation? Because it works for making quantitative predictions.

Likes Cobalt101
Cobalt101 said:
I guess my question is at the basic end of things, trying to understand how the bending of space actually "works", what is the mechanism- for example, why does a planet follow the geodesic around the sun ?

Well, if you consider a classical flat space you could then ask why objects travel on straight lines when not subject to a net force.

Yes - that is a subset of the question. Is there any understanding as to why this is the case (ie as no forces are involved)

I believe it is simply an axiom of physics. Perhaps it would be better to ask what would happen if that principle wasn't true?

Likes Cobalt101
Cobalt101 said:
what is the mechanism- for example, why does a planet follow the geodesic around the sun ?

You're looking at things backwards. Saying that a planet follows a geodesic is our way of modeling what happens; we model it that way because we've found that that model makes good predictions. But the physics comes first, then the model. Asking why planets follow geodesics implies that the model comes first, then the physics; that's backwards.

Likes phinds

Related to Why Does Light Travel the Shortest Path?

Why Does Light Travel the Shortest Path?

Light travels the shortest path because of a principle known as Fermat's Principle of Least Time. This principle states that light will always take the path that requires the least amount of time to travel.

How does Fermat's Principle explain why light travels the shortest path?

Fermat's Principle is based on the fact that light travels at a constant speed in a vacuum. When light encounters a medium, such as air or water, it will slow down. The principle states that light will take the path that minimizes the amount of time spent in the slower medium, resulting in the shortest path.

Does this mean light always travels in a straight line?

No, light can still travel in curved paths as long as it minimizes the time spent in the slower medium. This is why we can see objects through curved lenses or in a curved fiber optic cable.

Why is it important for light to travel the shortest path?

Light travels the shortest path to minimize the time it takes to reach its destination. This is crucial for many applications, such as communication systems, where even a small delay can cause significant issues.

Are there any exceptions to Fermat's Principle?

There are certain cases where light may not travel the shortest path, such as when it undergoes total internal reflection. However, these are rare cases and the principle generally holds true in most situations.