Why does length contraction occur in Lorentz transformations?

• Thread starter lincs_b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contraction
In summary, the person is struggling to understand why an object contracts when traveling at a high velocity from their frame of reference. They have been trying to imagine a rod traveling past them at a constant velocity close to the speed of light, but they cannot understand why it is contracted. The other person explains that this happens because the equations and measurements of time are different from different frames of reference.
lincs_b
Hi, This isn't actually a coursework question but rather a part of my course which I'm struggling to get my head round.
I can use formula to calculate the amount that an object contracts but I can't seem to get my head around why this happens.
I've been trying to imagine a rod traveling past me(my frame of reference is inertial and not moving) with a constant velocity, close to the speed of light, but I don't understand why the rod is contracted from my frame of reference.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lincs_b! :smile:

Why? Because it does … because that's what the equations tell you. :wink:

Roughly speaking, it's because when you measure its length, you do so at what you think are simultaneous times at each end,

but it thinks that those times are not simultaneous, and so one end has had time to travel a little further than the other! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Hi lincs_b! :smile:

Why? Because it does … because that's what the equations tell you. :wink:

Roughly speaking, it's because when you measure its length, you do so at what you think are simultaneous times at each end,

but it thinks that those times are not simultaneous, and so one end has had time to travel a little further than the other! :biggrin:

Thank you very much!

Related to Why does length contraction occur in Lorentz transformations?

1. What is Lorentz/length contraction?

Lorentz/length contraction is a phenomenon in Einstein's theory of relativity where an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when viewed by an observer. This is due to the fact that space and time are relative and dependent on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does Lorentz/length contraction occur?

Lorentz/length contraction occurs because of the relativity of space and time. When an object is in motion, its length in the direction of motion appears shorter to an observer who is stationary. This is because the object's frame of reference is different from the observer's.

3. What is the formula for calculating Lorentz/length contraction?

The formula for calculating Lorentz/length contraction is L = L0 * √(1 - v2/c2), where L is the contracted length, L0 is the original length, v is the velocity of the object, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does Lorentz/length contraction relate to time dilation?

Lorentz/length contraction and time dilation are both consequences of Einstein's theory of relativity. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object in motion, while Lorentz/length contraction refers to the shortening of an object's length in the direction of motion. Both phenomena occur because of the relativity of space and time.

5. Can Lorentz/length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Lorentz/length contraction can be observed in everyday life. However, it is only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light. An example of this is the muon particles that are created in the upper atmosphere and travel at high speeds towards the Earth. Due to their high speed, they experience Lorentz/length contraction, which allows them to reach the Earth's surface before they decay.