Why Does KMnO4 Oxidise I- to I2 in Acidic Medium but to IO3- in Alkaline Medium?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxidation
In summary, the conversation was about the benefits of exercise and healthy eating. The speaker emphasized the importance of staying active and making good food choices for overall health and well-being. They also discussed the role of mental health in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
jd12345
Why in acidic medium KMnO4 oxidises KI ( I-) to I2 but in alkaline medium to IO3 -

KMnO4 is a stronger oxidising agent in acidic medium right then why doesn't it oxidise I- to IO3- in acidic medium too?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It says in low pH iodine is oxidised by oxygen so it supports that IO3- should be formed in acidic medium
Probably i didn't get the hint

See the last reaction equation.

Oh how did i miss that? Thanks

Related to Why Does KMnO4 Oxidise I- to I2 in Acidic Medium but to IO3- in Alkaline Medium?

1. What is the chemical reaction between I- and KMnO4?

The chemical reaction between I- and KMnO4 is known as oxidation, where I- (iodide ion) is oxidized to I2 (iodine) and KMnO4 (potassium permanganate) is reduced to Mn2+ (manganese ion).

2. What are the products of the oxidation of I- by KMnO4?

The products of the oxidation of I- by KMnO4 are I2 (iodine) and Mn2+ (manganese ion).

3. What is the purpose of using KMnO4 in the oxidation of I-?

KMnO4 is used as an oxidizing agent in the reaction because it has a high standard reduction potential, meaning it is a strong oxidizing agent that can easily oxidize other substances.

4. What factors can affect the rate of the oxidation reaction?

The rate of the oxidation reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts. Higher temperatures and concentrations generally increase the rate of the reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can speed up the reaction by lowering the activation energy.

5. What are some practical applications of the oxidation of I- by KMnO4?

The oxidation of I- by KMnO4 is commonly used as a titration method in analytical chemistry to determine the concentration of reducing agents. It is also used in organic synthesis to oxidize alcohols to aldehydes or ketones, and in water treatment to remove impurities and disinfect water.